Re: Photoshop to be only in Cloud

  • Stan
    Message 1 of 31 , May 11 8:54 AM
      --- Carson Brucker <cbrucker@...> wrote:
      > What software do you recommend as a replacement for it? (Photoshop)

      Why are you using Photoshop?

      Photoshop is useless for calibration and stacking.

      Photoshop is awkward and error prone for color combine and balance (does not correctly handle sky color pollution).

      Photoshop is unnecessary for scaling (16/32 bit to 8 bit) or sharpening / blurring.

      All of the above functions are much better handled via decent astro-image software (e.g. CCDStack).

      Near as I can tell, Photoshop is mostly used in its well known roll as "Photofraud": paint out errors from poor acquisition and\or processing; attempt to fix bad flattening, clone out or "tighten" star saturations and blooms, goose-up colors; dodge and burn, etc. I don't care for any of that and prefer to make a good basic image instead of trying to spin a silk purse from a sow's ear. <g>

      Stan
    • Pete Su
      Message 31 of 31 , May 14 8:44 AM
        On May 14, 2013, at 11:24 AM, "Stan" <stan_ccd@...> wrote:

        > --- Pete Su <pete.su@...> wrote:
        >> ... pet feature of Photoshop ... is non-destructive
        >> masked adjustment layers...
        >
        > CCDStack can be used for layering actions, though it does not display a running result (you must press the "combine" button or menu item to enact the layers).

        Neat. I did not know. I'll have to play with that. Thanks.

        Pete