M104 or M51

  • arthurslevine
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2013
      Tonight I thought I'd try my luck at either M104 or M51. Not sure which would be better based on where they are in the sky. M104 appears to be low, so a lot of
      atmosphere to go through. M51 is about straight overheard, (I'm at 42 degrees N latitude). I have a 10"Meade classic with an 80mm refractor on top, which I'll use
      as a guide scope with a DSI Pro and PHD software. Imaging with an Atik HR16 and Artemis Capture. I'll use an Orion manual filter wheel for the LRGB.
      Scope control with Cartes du Ciel. I'm leaning toward the Sombrero Galaxy, even though it will be low in the sky. Also, no moon to speak of tonight. Post processing with DSS and PhotoShop
      According to the Clear Sky Chart, Seeing is predicted to be Good 4/5, but Transparency, below average.

      Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated as to exposure length; number of subs from the L,R,G & B; binned or unbind and anything else that will get me
      leg up.

      Thanks everyone.

      Art

    • Stan
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2013
        --- spaceage1939@... wrote:
        > ... 10"Meade classic with an 80mm refractor ... DSI Pro and
        > PHD software ... with an Atik HR16 and Artemis Capture...
        > Orion manual filter wheel ... Scope control with Cartes du Ciel
        > Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated...

        That's a lot of equipment and software and your request for wisdom implies inexperience using it. So:

        My first word of wisdom is "simplify". Don't jump into the deep end without first learning to wade in the shallows. Trying to take LRGB images before you have tamed the basic equipment is really asking for trouble. Simplify by removing all unnecessary equipment/software/techniques to master the basics then add one thing at a time. Start with unfiltered or mono-filtered imaging; color should be the very last thing you attempt to master.

        My second word of wisdom is "study". Guiding SCT with external scope is fraught with difficulties and it is necessary to master that before anything else. So study the guider hardware and software. There are many potential problems with the hardware such as guide flexure and mirror flop. Guiding software parameters must be fine tuned for every system. Also study the camera and sky conditions to learn how to achieve optimal S/N (sky limited) and resolution.

        The target is almost irrelevant. In fact I often image random star fields when exploring/testing equipment/software/techniques. Imaging a target tempts one to neglect proper study in hopes of a lucky shortcut. (Random star fields can be surprising - I once "discovered" a small ring galaxy via random pointing.)

        Stan
      • arthurslevine
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2013
          Thanks Stan

          That's good advice.

          Art

          > ... 10"Meade classic with an 80mm refractor ... DSI Pro and
          > PHD software ... with an Atik HR16 and Artemis Capture...
          > Orion manual filter wheel ... Scope control with Cartes du Ciel
          > Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated...

          That's a lot of equipment and software and your request for wisdom implies inexperience using it. So:

          My first word of wisdom is "simplify". Don't jump into the deep end without first learning to wade in the shallows. Trying to take LRGB images before you have tamed the basic equipment is really asking for trouble. Simplify by removing all unnecessary equipment/software/techniques to master the basics then add one thing at a time. Start with unfiltered or mono-filtered imaging; color should be the very last thing you attempt to master.

          My second word of wisdom is "study". Guiding SCT with external scope is fraught with difficulties and it is necessary to master that before anything else. So study the guider hardware and software. There are many potential problems with the hardware such as guide flexure and mirror flop. Guiding software parameters must be fine tuned for every system. Also study the camera and sky conditions to learn how to achieve optimal S/N (sky limited) and resolution.

          The target is almost irrelevant. In fact I often image random star fields when exploring/testing equipment/software/techniques. Imaging a target tempts one to neglect proper study in hopes of a lucky shortcut. (Random star fields can be surprising - I once "discovered" a small ring galaxy via random pointing.)

          Stan

        • stargazer66207
          Message 4 of 4 , May 9, 2013
            Stan,

            Great words of wisdom!! I would suggest imaging through the 80mm
            refractor first.
            Unless using a focal reducer, the 2500mm focal length of the Meade SCT makes for very challenging issues using a separate guidescope.

            Ron Abbott
            Land of Oz Observatory