Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: sh2-240 / Simeis 147 Ha Mosaic

  • Jeff Armstrong
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4, 2013
      I magnified the image in Maxim DL to 200% and set the Screen Stretch to Low.
      I've always used my eyes to center the spike the best I can.

      I usually pick the brightest star I can find that is closest to the object and
      in the Hand Controller database.  I think I used Capella on this one.  If I
      recall I bumped the exposure up to 4-5 seconds because of the filter.  Without
      the filter I would use 2sec.  Any less and the noise makes it difficult to make
      out the diffraction spikes clearly.

      Jeff Armstrong

      Message 2 of 10 , May 5, 2013
        Jeff,
        Thanks for the input. Sounds like we are doing about the same thing.
        I, too use 200X to scrutinize the diffraction spikes. When I have it as close as I can visually, I also use the "Display Large Statistics" in Maxim DL to check the FWHM number, and then try to "tweak" the number down a little lower if possible. Focusing at f/2 is really touchy (and tough!).

        Ron Abbott
        Land of Oz Observatory
        http://www.astrolandofoz.com