Re: sh2-240 / Simeis 147 Ha Mosaic

  • stargazer66207
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4, 2013
      Jeff,
      I use exactly the same setup. Other questions: When examining the diffraction spike, do you magnify the image? Also, do you use any other info to achieve best focus other than the mask. Lastly, what mag. star do you usually use, and what exposure time. Just curious. I am always trying to improve my focus!!

      Ron Abbott
      Land of Oz Observatory
      http://www.astrolandofoz.com
    • Jeff Armstrong
      Message 2 of 10 , May 4, 2013
        I magnified the image in Maxim DL to 200% and set the Screen Stretch to Low.
        I've always used my eyes to center the spike the best I can.

        I usually pick the brightest star I can find that is closest to the object and
        in the Hand Controller database.  I think I used Capella on this one.  If I
        recall I bumped the exposure up to 4-5 seconds because of the filter.  Without
        the filter I would use 2sec.  Any less and the noise makes it difficult to make
        out the diffraction spikes clearly.

        Jeff Armstrong

        Message 3 of 10 , May 5, 2013
          Jeff,
          Thanks for the input. Sounds like we are doing about the same thing.
          I, too use 200X to scrutinize the diffraction spikes. When I have it as close as I can visually, I also use the "Display Large Statistics" in Maxim DL to check the FWHM number, and then try to "tweak" the number down a little lower if possible. Focusing at f/2 is really touchy (and tough!).

          Ron Abbott
          Land of Oz Observatory
          http://www.astrolandofoz.com