Re: [starlightxpress] sh2-240 / Simeis 147 Ha Mosaic

  • Admilson
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2013
      Beaultiful, Jeff, especially considering the OSC used. Compliments.

      Admilson

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2013
        Jeff,
        That's a wonderful mosaic!!
        One question: I also have a C-11 with HyperStar. I would like to know what method you use for focusing.

        Ron Abbott
        Land of Oz Observatory
        http://www.astrolandofoz.com
      • Jeff Armstrong
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2013
          I have an astro zap dew shield and a bahtinov mask on the end.

          Jeff Armstrong

          Sent from my iPhone

          On May 3, 2013, at 6:18 PM, "stargazer66207" <rnrse71@...> wrote:

          > Jeff,
          > That's a wonderful mosaic!!
          > One question: I also have a C-11 with HyperStar. I would like to know what method you use for focusing.
          >
          > Ron Abbott
          > Land of Oz Observatory
          > http://www.astrolandofoz.com

        • stargazer66207
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2013
            Jeff,
            I use exactly the same setup. Other questions: When examining the diffraction spike, do you magnify the image? Also, do you use any other info to achieve best focus other than the mask. Lastly, what mag. star do you usually use, and what exposure time. Just curious. I am always trying to improve my focus!!

            Ron Abbott
            Land of Oz Observatory
            http://www.astrolandofoz.com
          • Jeff Armstrong
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4, 2013
              I magnified the image in Maxim DL to 200% and set the Screen Stretch to Low.
              I've always used my eyes to center the spike the best I can.

              I usually pick the brightest star I can find that is closest to the object and
              in the Hand Controller database.  I think I used Capella on this one.  If I
              recall I bumped the exposure up to 4-5 seconds because of the filter.  Without
              the filter I would use 2sec.  Any less and the noise makes it difficult to make
              out the diffraction spikes clearly.

              Jeff Armstrong

              Message 6 of 10 , May 5, 2013
                Jeff,
                Thanks for the input. Sounds like we are doing about the same thing.
                I, too use 200X to scrutinize the diffraction spikes. When I have it as close as I can visually, I also use the "Display Large Statistics" in Maxim DL to check the FWHM number, and then try to "tweak" the number down a little lower if possible. Focusing at f/2 is really touchy (and tough!).

                Ron Abbott
                Land of Oz Observatory
                http://www.astrolandofoz.com