Re: [ccd-newastro] sh2-240 / Simeis 147 Ha Mosaic

  • Ron Brant
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 29, 2013
      Well done Jeff!
      Ron
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Jeff Armstrong
      To: starlightxpress@yahoogroups.com ; ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com ; CelestronCGEM@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 7:03 PM
      Subject: [ccd-newastro] sh2-240 / Simeis 147 Ha Mosaic

      Simeis 147 (also known as Sharpless 2-240 and the Spaghetti Nebula) is a
      supernova remnant in the constellations of Taurus and Auriga. The nebulous area
      is fairly large, with an apparent size covering around 3 degrees, and is
      approximately 3000(±350) light years away, and covers an area of around 41.9
      parsecs (137 ly(±25)), and is approximately 40,000 years old.

      There are a lot of great looking images on the web of this object and mine
      hardly compares. Regardless I finally finished processing it and all-in-all ok
      with it considering each set of stacked subs consisted no more than 2hrs of
      data. Obviously a lot of noise in the image but thought I also pulled out some
      nice details.

      This is a 11 frame Mosaic shot on 7 different nights. It took several redo's to
      try and get the background levels as equal as I could before stitching it
      together.

      The image covers an area 3.83 x 5.17 degrees. To put this in perspective, the
      full moon viewed from earth is about 1⁄2 degree, or 30 arc minutes.

      http://astrob.in/40480/

      Jeff Armstrong

    • waddington50
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
        Nice image, Jeff. These mosaics take a huge amount of work, and I admire you for doing it. I've never had the patience... :-)

        Bruce W.

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Armstrong <army5@...> wrote:

        > Simeis 147 (also known as Sharpless 2-240 and the Spaghetti Nebula) is a
        > supernova remnant in the constellations of Taurus and Auriga.  The nebulous area
        > is fairly large, with an apparent size covering around 3 degrees, and is
        > approximately 3000(±350) light years away, and covers an area of around 41.9
        > parsecs (137 ly(±25)), and is approximately 40,000 years old.
        >
        > There are a lot of great looking images on the web of this object and mine
        > hardly compares.  Regardless I finally finished processing it and all-in-all ok
        > with it considering each set of stacked subs consisted no more than 2hrs of
        > data.  Obviously a lot of noise in the image but thought I also pulled out some
        > nice details.
        >
        > This is a 11 frame Mosaic shot on 7 different nights.  It took several redo's to
        > try and get the background levels as equal as I could before stitching it
        > together.
        >

        > The image covers an area 3.83 x 5.17 degrees.  To put this in perspective, the
        > full moon viewed from earth is about 1⁄2 degree, or 30 arc minutes.
        >
        > http://astrob.in/40480/
        >
        > Jeff Armstrong

      • Bernard Miller
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
          Jeff,

          11 frames is a lot of work. Very nice result.

          Bernard

          Message 4 of 10 , May 2 12:27 PM
            Beaultiful, Jeff, especially considering the OSC used. Compliments.

            Admilson

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , May 3 4:18 PM
              Jeff,
              That's a wonderful mosaic!!
              One question: I also have a C-11 with HyperStar. I would like to know what method you use for focusing.

              Ron Abbott
              Land of Oz Observatory
              http://www.astrolandofoz.com
            • Jeff Armstrong
              Message 6 of 10 , May 3 6:40 PM
                I have an astro zap dew shield and a bahtinov mask on the end.

                Jeff Armstrong

                Sent from my iPhone

                On May 3, 2013, at 6:18 PM, "stargazer66207" <rnrse71@...> wrote:

                > Jeff,
                > That's a wonderful mosaic!!
                > One question: I also have a C-11 with HyperStar. I would like to know what method you use for focusing.
                >
                > Ron Abbott
                > Land of Oz Observatory
                > http://www.astrolandofoz.com

              • stargazer66207
                Message 7 of 10 , May 4 11:15 AM
                  Jeff,
                  I use exactly the same setup. Other questions: When examining the diffraction spike, do you magnify the image? Also, do you use any other info to achieve best focus other than the mask. Lastly, what mag. star do you usually use, and what exposure time. Just curious. I am always trying to improve my focus!!

                  Ron Abbott
                  Land of Oz Observatory
                  http://www.astrolandofoz.com
                • Jeff Armstrong
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 4 4:05 PM
                    I magnified the image in Maxim DL to 200% and set the Screen Stretch to Low.
                    I've always used my eyes to center the spike the best I can.

                    I usually pick the brightest star I can find that is closest to the object and
                    in the Hand Controller database.  I think I used Capella on this one.  If I
                    recall I bumped the exposure up to 4-5 seconds because of the filter.  Without
                    the filter I would use 2sec.  Any less and the noise makes it difficult to make
                    out the diffraction spikes clearly.

                    Jeff Armstrong

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 5 11:18 AM
                      Jeff,
                      Thanks for the input. Sounds like we are doing about the same thing.
                      I, too use 200X to scrutinize the diffraction spikes. When I have it as close as I can visually, I also use the "Display Large Statistics" in Maxim DL to check the FWHM number, and then try to "tweak" the number down a little lower if possible. Focusing at f/2 is really touchy (and tough!).

                      Ron Abbott
                      Land of Oz Observatory
                      http://www.astrolandofoz.com