RE: [ccd-newastro] Messier 106

  • Bernard Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27 10:57 AM
      Jeff,

      Very well done.

      Bernard

      From: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Jeff Armstrong
      Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 9:55 AM
      To: starlightxpress@yahoogroups.com; ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com;
      CelestronCGEM@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ccd-newastro] Messier 106

      Messier 106 (also known as NGC 4258) is a spiral galaxy in the constellation

      Canes Venatici. M106 is at a distance of about 22 to 25 million light-years

      away from Earth. It is also a Seyfert II galaxy, which means that due to
      x-rays
      and unusual emission lines detected, it is suspected that part of the galaxy
      is
      falling into a supermassive black hole in the center. NGC 4217 is a
      possible
      companion galaxy of Messier 106.

      It took several attempts processing this one to get it where it's at now.
      The background noise was giving me issues. I ended up using two different
      processed masters. One I stretched fully to my liking and the other I did
      minimal stretching to limit bringing out the background noise (as well as
      the
      orange disk that comes with bright stars and the Hyperstar lens). I have
      yet
      to figure out how to remove the disk and still look natural.

      I provided 2 links. The second one has labels for 11 of the galaxies that I
      was
      able to look up. I spot 8, maybe 11 more that I could not get confirmation
      on.

      http://astrob.in/40176/
      http://astrob.in/40177/ - With labels

      Thanks for looking.
      Jeff Armstrong

    • Jeff Armstrong
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 27 11:50 AM
        Thank you Michael and Admilson.

        Jeff Armstrong

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Apr 27, 2013, at 11:09 AM, Admilson <admilson_p@...> wrote:

        > Hi Jeff,
        >
        > a well acquired and processed image. M106 is in fact not so easy to
        > process. Compliments.
        >
        > Admilson

      • Jeff Armstrong
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 27 11:50 AM