Messier 106

  • Jeff Armstrong
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2013
      Messier 106 (also known as NGC 4258) is a spiral galaxy in the constellation
      Canes Venatici.  M106 is at a distance of about 22 to 25 million light-years
      away from Earth. It is also a Seyfert II galaxy, which means that due to x-rays
      and unusual emission lines detected, it is suspected that part of the galaxy is
      falling into a supermassive black hole in the center.  NGC 4217 is a possible
      companion galaxy of Messier 106.

      It took several attempts processing this one to get it where it's at now.
      The background noise was giving me issues.  I ended up using two different
      processed masters.  One I stretched fully to my liking and the other I did
      minimal stretching to limit bringing out the background noise (as well as the
      orange disk that comes with bright stars and the Hyperstar lens).  I have yet
      to figure out how to remove the disk and still look natural.

      I provided 2 links.  The second one has labels for 11 of the galaxies that I was
      able to look up.  I spot 8, maybe 11 more that I could not get confirmation on.

      http://astrob.in/40176/
      http://astrob.in/40177/%c2%a0- With labels

      Thanks for looking.
      Jeff Armstrong

    • Admilson
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 27, 2013
        Hi Jeff,

        a well acquired and processed image. M106 is in fact not so easy to
        process. Compliments.

        Admilson

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 27, 2013
          Jeff,

          Very well done.

          Bernard

[...]

          http://astrob.in/40177/ - With labels

          Thanks for looking.
          Jeff Armstrong

        • Jeff Armstrong
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 27, 2013
            Thank you Michael and Admilson.

            Jeff Armstrong

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Apr 27, 2013, at 11:09 AM, Admilson <admilson_p@...> wrote:

            > Hi Jeff,
            >
            > a well acquired and processed image. M106 is in fact not so easy to
            > process. Compliments.
            >
            > Admilson

          • Jeff Armstrong
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 27, 2013