Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: luminescent sheet

  • Bob Grabau
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 5, 2013
      There is several other alternatives out there. OPT has a different
      source for EL panels, Gerd Neumann. See: (note - this url maybe 2 or
      more lines depending on your email software).

      http://www.optcorp.com/telescope-accessories/imaging-accessories/flat-field-panels-for-image-calibration.html?p=1

      The Gerd Neumann and the Alnitak panels are right next to each other and
      you will notice that there is a slight price difference (NOT :-) - A
      huge difference).

      An alternative is to roll your own. That is what I did. I have an 11"
      Celestron SCT, and I made a homemade EL unit. I got the largest EL
      panel that I could find - from Glow Hut ( http://www.glowhut.com ) and
      made a holder for it out of 3/8 plywood that slides over the front of my
      11". I bought their 12 v dc power supply to provide the high voltage
      needed by the EL panel. Caution: it can run from 45 vac to over 150
      vac at approx 1000 Hz. I am driving that 12v dc power supply with a
      100vac to a variable voltage power supply in order to give adjustability
      to the brightness for the panel (and this is needed to not overload my
      CCD camera). Some people have used neutral density filters to lower the
      amount of light to the CCD. My cost - ~ $175 usd. If anyone is
      interested, I can write up some more details and post it in the files
      section.

      Clear Skies,

      Bob

      --
      Bob Grabau

      http://www.astrohbg.org
      http://www.cherrysprings.org

      Our Star Party: June 6-9, 2013 Cherry Springs State Park, PA
    • Mark Striebeck
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 5, 2013
        I have the cheaper neuman sheet and am very happy with it. the only
        downside is that you can't regulate the brightness (which is a problem when
        you try to take flats for a hyperstar lens). But I added a cheap 12V dimmer
        to it and now everything is fine. Can only recommend them.

        MarkS

      • Felipe Largo
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 6, 2013
          Thank you very much to all for your kind responses
          Also I have the Neuman sheet ..
          I'll start testing
          All the best

          Felipe Largo
          http://www.quasarobservatory.com/

        • montb02
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 6, 2013
            MarkS,

            Hello. What sort of 12v dimmer are you using with your Neuman panel? How are you connecting that dimmer to the inverter? I have one of his panels as well (from OPT) and would like to control the brightness. Mine came with a specific inverter and cig plug adapter.

            Thanks - Felix

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 6, 2013
              I'm using this one:
              http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Tresco-LED-DIMCON-BL-12-Volt-LED-Manual-Rotary-Dimmer-Black/261215/Cat/1519

              I inserted it between the inverter and the panel. It allows me to dim the
              panel just enough to take flats with 0.1s exposure time with the hyperstar
              lens.

              MarkS

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 7, 2013
                The way I used my Glow Hut sheet (this MAY work for the Neumann sheet
                too, but unknown), was to build a simple power supply. I used a 12 vac
                transformer (from Radio Shack), and a variable power supply kit from
                Velieman ( http://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?id=350481 don't
                forget to use a heat sink!). I mount the parts is an broken PC power
                supply (after yanking out the broke PS board) and wiring the AC to the
                transformer via the case's power switch. There was enough room inside
                the case for the EL inverter too.

                Clear Skies,

                Bob

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 8, 2013
                  Great, thanks for the information!
                  I will be placing my order tomorrow.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 15, 2013
                    MarkS,

                    One further question if I may, by looking at the picture from the supplier's web site I cannot determine if the two ends of the dimmer will fit the Neuman panel.

                    Q: Do the connectors fit right out of the box or would there be a need to cut out the original end connectors from the Neuman panel and the dimmer to be able to then connect the dimmer to the panel?

                    The dimmer should be coming in this week.

                    Thanks once again, Felix