Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: luminescent sheet

  • Felipe Largo
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 5, 2013
      Hi Mike,, thanks for the info..

      Felipe Largo
      http://www.quasarobservatory.com/

      >________________________________

    • Bob Grabau
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 5, 2013
        There is several other alternatives out there. OPT has a different
        source for EL panels, Gerd Neumann. See: (note - this url maybe 2 or
        more lines depending on your email software).

        http://www.optcorp.com/telescope-accessories/imaging-accessories/flat-field-panels-for-image-calibration.html?p=1

        The Gerd Neumann and the Alnitak panels are right next to each other and
        you will notice that there is a slight price difference (NOT :-) - A
        huge difference).

        An alternative is to roll your own. That is what I did. I have an 11"
        Celestron SCT, and I made a homemade EL unit. I got the largest EL
        panel that I could find - from Glow Hut ( http://www.glowhut.com ) and
        made a holder for it out of 3/8 plywood that slides over the front of my
        11". I bought their 12 v dc power supply to provide the high voltage
        needed by the EL panel. Caution: it can run from 45 vac to over 150
        vac at approx 1000 Hz. I am driving that 12v dc power supply with a
        100vac to a variable voltage power supply in order to give adjustability
        to the brightness for the panel (and this is needed to not overload my
        CCD camera). Some people have used neutral density filters to lower the
        amount of light to the CCD. My cost - ~ $175 usd. If anyone is
        interested, I can write up some more details and post it in the files
        section.

        Clear Skies,

        Bob

        On 4/4/2013 9:07 PM, Mike Dodd wrote:
        > Felipe Largo wrote:
        > > Hello Mr. Wodaski, in his book "New CCD Astronomy" explains the
        > > various procedures for the flats. However it is not explained the use
        > > of "luminescent sheet ". Do you have an article about this way of
        > > doing the flats, please?
        >
        > You might want to check out the Flip-Flat.
        > <http://alnitakastro.com/products/flip-flat/> Apparently making flats
        > with EL panels is straightforward, and you might get some ideas or
        > choose to buy a ready-made Flip-Flat.
        > --
        > Mike
        >
        > Mike Dodd
        > http://astronomy.mdodd.com
        > Louisa County, Virginia USA N37.58.23 W77.56.24

        --
        Bob Grabau

        http://www.astrohbg.org
        http://www.cherrysprings.org

        Our Star Party: June 6-9, 2013 Cherry Springs State Park, PA
      • Mark Striebeck
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 5, 2013
          I have the cheaper neuman sheet and am very happy with it. the only
          downside is that you can't regulate the brightness (which is a problem when
          you try to take flats for a hyperstar lens). But I added a cheap 12V dimmer
          to it and now everything is fine. Can only recommend them.

          MarkS

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 6, 2013
            Thank you very much to all for your kind responses
            Also I have the Neuman sheet ..
            I'll start testing
            All the best

          • montb02
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 6, 2013
              MarkS,

              Hello. What sort of 12v dimmer are you using with your Neuman panel? How are you connecting that dimmer to the inverter? I have one of his panels as well (from OPT) and would like to control the brightness. Mine came with a specific inverter and cig plug adapter.

              Thanks - Felix

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 6, 2013
                I'm using this one:
                http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Tresco-LED-DIMCON-BL-12-Volt-LED-Manual-Rotary-Dimmer-Black/261215/Cat/1519

                I inserted it between the inverter and the panel. It allows me to dim the
                panel just enough to take flats with 0.1s exposure time with the hyperstar
                lens.

                MarkS

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 7, 2013
                  The way I used my Glow Hut sheet (this MAY work for the Neumann sheet
                  too, but unknown), was to build a simple power supply. I used a 12 vac
                  transformer (from Radio Shack), and a variable power supply kit from
                  Velieman ( http://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?id=350481 don't
                  forget to use a heat sink!). I mount the parts is an broken PC power
                  supply (after yanking out the broke PS board) and wiring the AC to the
                  transformer via the case's power switch. There was enough room inside
                  the case for the EL inverter too.

                  Clear Skies,

                  Bob

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 8, 2013
                    Great, thanks for the information!
                    I will be placing my order tomorrow.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 15, 2013
                      MarkS,

                      One further question if I may, by looking at the picture from the supplier's web site I cannot determine if the two ends of the dimmer will fit the Neuman panel.

                      Q: Do the connectors fit right out of the box or would there be a need to cut out the original end connectors from the Neuman panel and the dimmer to be able to then connect the dimmer to the panel?

                      The dimmer should be coming in this week.

                      Thanks once again, Felix