M81/M82 HaRGB

  • Jeff Armstrong
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2013
      Wanted to give these two galaxies another go by incorporating Ha data with my
      Astronomik 12nm Ha filter.  I am pleased with the result, specially coming from
      an OSC.

      I'm trying out AstroBin for my astrophotos as it allows me to upload full res
      images.  I think I am going to like it.

      One area of the image I'm not sure what's going on is the bottom left corner.  I
      tried two different sets of flats to see if there was any difference but there
      was none.  I thought about using an older image and masking/blending the
      background but decided to leave as is.

      I've provided links below to both the HaRGB and the RGB images.

      http://astrob.in/38020/%c2%a0- HaRGB

      http://astrob.in/38021/%c2%a0- RGB

      Jeff Armstrong

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2013
        That bottom left corner (and the bottom right) is the result of rotation, probably of the camera, between exposures. that's not that unusual. You can crop to get rid of the incomplete data at the edges.

        Nice image, BTW. <g>

        Ron Wodaski

        On Apr 4, 2013, at 3:50 PM, Jeff Armstrong <army5@...> wrote:

        > Wanted to give these two galaxies another go by incorporating Ha data with my
        > Astronomik 12nm Ha filter. I am pleased with the result, specially coming from
        > an OSC.
        >
        > I'm trying out AstroBin for my astrophotos as it allows me to upload full res
        > images. I think I am going to like it.
        >
        > One area of the image I'm not sure what's going on is the bottom left corner. I
        > tried two different sets of flats to see if there was any difference but there
        > was none. I thought about using an older image and masking/blending the
        > background but decided to leave as is.
        >
        > I've provided links below to both the HaRGB and the RGB images.
        >
        > http://astrob.in/38020/ - HaRGB
        >
        > http://astrob.in/38021/ - RGB
        >
        > Jeff Armstrong

      • Jeff Armstrong
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2013
          Thanks Ron. That makes since. Starizona now has a filter slide that will allow me to keep the camera in place. This will probably be my next purchase hopefully soon.

          Jeff Armstrong

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Apr 4, 2013, at 6:08 PM, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > That bottom left corner (and the bottom right) is the result of rotation, probably of the camera, between exposures. that's not that unusual. You can crop to get rid of the incomplete data at the edges.
          >
          > Nice image, BTW. <g>
          >
          > Ron Wodaski
          >
          > On Apr 4, 2013, at 3:50 PM, Jeff Armstrong <army5@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Wanted to give these two galaxies another go by incorporating Ha data with my
          > > Astronomik 12nm Ha filter. I am pleased with the result, specially coming from
          > > an OSC.
          > >
          > > I'm trying out AstroBin for my astrophotos as it allows me to upload full res
          > > images. I think I am going to like it.
          > >
          > > One area of the image I'm not sure what's going on is the bottom left corner. I
          > > tried two different sets of flats to see if there was any difference but there
          > > was none. I thought about using an older image and masking/blending the
          > > background but decided to leave as is.
          > >
          > > I've provided links below to both the HaRGB and the RGB images.
          > >
          > > http://astrob.in/38020/ - HaRGB
          > >
          > > http://astrob.in/38021/ - RGB
          > >
          > > Jeff Armstrong

        • Bernard Miller
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2013
            Jeff,

            I like the RGB one better. The HaRGB has too much cyan in the outer arms of
            M81.

            Bernard