Re: Cleaning my CCD camera

  • Stan
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2013
      --- Mark Striebeck <mark.striebeck@...> wrote:
      > Putting in my values: 4.54 microns, 6.3 focal length,
      > 200 pixels leads to 2.8 mm distance to ccd chip.

      I don't see how (I'll talk to the creator of that calculator).

      Assuming the dust mote's actual diameter is insignificant then the distance should equal the shadow diameter times the f-ratio, right? (simple geometry)

      diam = 4.54u*200 = 0.9mm
      distance = 0.9*6.3 = 5.7mm

      BTW, here is another calculator:
      http://www.wilmslowastro.com/software/formulae.htm#Dust

      But 6mm is pretty close-in and may be inside the camera but is too far to be on the coverslip. Are you sure that flat is binned 1x1 and that JPEG is not reduced?

      Try to find a build diagram of the camera to see what might be at that distance. Is there an internal filter wheel? Otherwise just assume that most of the dust is on the window and clean it.

      Stan
    • Mark Striebeck
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1, 2013
        Hi Stan,

        Thanks for the reply. Yes, thinking of it, it's hard to see how a small
        dust particle almost in front of the CCD camera could blow up so much. With
        this other calculator I get a distance of 5.72mm - still small. But
        couldn't this be on the optical window of the camera which is in front of
        the chip?

        I measured the diameter on a 1x1 binned raw image (i.e. no processing or
        such) - I uploaded it here:
        https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71789253/00012610.A.FlatField.fit.

        My camera is a Starlight Xpress H694, the closest surface outside of the
        camera is the filter in the filter wheel which is ~30mm from the chip.

        MarkS

        On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Stan <stan_ccd@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > --- Mark Striebeck <mark.striebeck@...> wrote:
        > > Putting in my values: 4.54 microns, 6.3 focal length,
        > > 200 pixels leads to 2.8 mm distance to ccd chip.
        >
        > I don't see how (I'll talk to the creator of that calculator).
        >
        > Assuming the dust mote's actual diameter is insignificant then the
        > distance should equal the shadow diameter times the f-ratio, right? (simple
        > geometry)
        >
        > diam = 4.54u*200 = 0.9mm
        > distance = 0.9*6.3 = 5.7mm
        >
        > BTW, here is another calculator:
        > http://www.wilmslowastro.com/software/formulae.htm#Dust
        >
        > But 6mm is pretty close-in and may be inside the camera but is too far to
        > be on the coverslip. Are you sure that flat is binned 1x1 and that JPEG is
        > not reduced?
        >
        > Try to find a build diagram of the camera to see what might be at that
        > distance. Is there an internal filter wheel? Otherwise just assume that
        > most of the dust is on the window and clean it.
        >
        > Stan

      • Terry Platt
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 1, 2013
          Hi Stan & Mark,

          That’s about the distance between the CCD and the front window. I think that you will find that they are nearly all on the outer surface of the camera window.

          Regards,
          Terry (SX Ltd)

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 1, 2013
            Thanks Terry - that's what I figured.

            What is your (starlight xpress) recommended way to clean that window? I
            found contradicting recommendations: some say to clean with a (super) soft
            brush (I have one that I use for cleaning my DSLR sensor that I keep sealed
            at all times), others say that you should do it with (low) pressure air.

            MarkS

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 1, 2013
              The best way to clean any optical surface is wet.

              For the front window of just about any CCD camera (unless it leaks liquids badly), any pro-quality lens cleaning kit should do the job adequately.

              By 'pro' in this context I mean a professional photographer; a professional astronomer would be more likely to use dangerous chemicals, such as acetone, to clean a flat surface. That's how we do it at the Tzec Maun Observatory. We also use industrial (not medical) grade gloves - they come quite a bit thicker than most medical gloves, which makes them safer for handling objects with metal edges, and are just as clean out of the box. Avoid gloves with various kinds of 'improvements' such as talc.

              For optical surfaces, the key problems are various forms of adhesion - chemical bonding, electrostatic forces being the two most common you run into.

              Chemical bonding occurs when dust or other particles get on the surface, and then the surface gets wet. It takes force to remove such dirt; a liquid facilitates removal both by helping to break the chemical bonds, and to lubricate the surface against scratches once stuff does get loose. Liquid also reduces/sliminates static charge.

              it can be surprisingly hard to remove dust particles when static charge is present. I recall cleaning a sensor's cover plate once. It took me about 15 minutes; I was finally successful when I imagined my little brush to be a broom, and I carefully swept up the dust into a tiny tiny little pile, and then mechanically forced it against a second brush which acted as my 'dust pan'. <g> Otherwise, there are situations where you can brush and brush and brush and nothing ever seems to leave the surface. I've even watched through a magnifying glass as the material I brushed off the top of a cover slip jumped back onto the surface (from the brush, and from the side of the casing) as I lifted the brush.

              Thus: wet cleaning is always the best approach. Still, you need to obtain the right materials (able to break those bonds, won't damage seals, etc.) and develop good techniques (gloves, disposal, etc.)

              Ron Wodaski

              On Apr 1, 2013, at 10:26 AM, Mark Striebeck <mark.striebeck@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Terry - that's what I figured.
              >
              > What is your (starlight xpress) recommended way to clean that window? I
              > found contradicting recommendations: some say to clean with a (super) soft
              > brush (I have one that I use for cleaning my DSLR sensor that I keep sealed
              > at all times), others say that you should do it with (low) pressure air.
              >
              > MarkS
              >

              > On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Terry Platt <tplatt@...-uk.net>wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> Hi Stan & Mark,
              >>
              >> That’s about the distance between the CCD and the front window. I think
              >> that you will find that they are nearly all on the outer surface of the
              >> camera window.
              >>
              >> Regards,
              >> Terry (SX Ltd)

            • Mark Striebeck
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 1, 2013
                Hmmm, I found so many sources who warn from exactly this and recommend only
                dusting (e.g. http://www.arksky.org/asoclean.htm . And only revert to
                (liquid) cleaning if absolutely necessary.

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 1, 2013
                  I didn't find anything on that link that is opposed to what I was saying. Their remonstrance about dusting is really only saying: if there is stuff that is not chemically bonded, yeah, go ahead and remove that first.

                  I certainly wasn't suggesting you should clean when it's not necessary. <g>

                  Ron Wodaski

                • phils67
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 2, 2013
                    Many many years ago, when I was doing my own B/W photo printing, I had a special dust brush for cleaning off negatives. Static would normally cause the dust particles to return to the negative so the brush had a radioactive emitter strip that eliminated static charges as you wiped off the dust. The strip had a life of only a few years and was an alpha particle emitter. It worked very well.

                    Phil

                    --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    >
                    > Ron Wodaski
                    >

                    > On Apr 1, 2013, at 10:26 AM, Mark Striebeck <mark.striebeck@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Thanks Terry - that's what I figured.
                    > >
                    > > What is your (starlight xpress) recommended way to clean that window? I
                    > > found contradicting recommendations: some say to clean with a (super) soft
                    > > brush (I have one that I use for cleaning my DSLR sensor that I keep sealed
                    > > at all times), others say that you should do it with (low) pressure air.
                    > >
                    > > MarkS
                    > >

                    > > On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Terry Platt <tplatt@...>wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> **
                    > >>

                    > >> Hi Stan & Mark,
                    > >>
                    > >> That's about the distance between the CCD and the front window. I think
                    > >> that you will find that they are nearly all on the outer surface of the

                  • Mark Striebeck
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 6, 2013
                      So, all I did was to clean the camera window with some air (not compressed,
                      but with a little bellows that I normally use for my DSLR) and then with a
                      DSLR cleaning brush (which I always keep sealed). And now my flats look
                      like this:
                      http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2LOuEM_EUYo/UWD5yTIFzkI/AAAAAAAAinM/huB9RuJGF1Y/s320/00013383.jpg

                      I wish all problems would be so easy to fix ...

                      Thanks for all the advice.

                      MarkS