Re: [ccd-newastro] looking for camera (or workflow) recommendation

    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 15, 2013
      Well, it's really up to you to determine both the value and whether you want to do the work. I can't help with that. <g>

      As to value, I have not examined this like you have, so I can't help with that very much, either. When looking for bargains, you should factor in that they are bargains for a reason, and there will always be risks and costs. There is no way to entirely remove either.

      Ron Wodaski

      On Mar 15, 2013, at 10:03 AM, Orlando Andico <orly.andico@...> wrote:

      > Ron, this specific camera already has a shutter driver. 24V trigger, 4V
      > hold.
      >
      > So given that a new 6303 camera starts at about $7K, what the liquidator is
      > asking ($1K) is reasonable? even when factoring in the machining work to
      > attach a shutter and the cost of MaximDL (although MaximDL is not
      > required.. it comes with software that can capture, then just use PHD to
      > guide).
      >

      > On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 1:00 AM, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> You can roll your own shutter with parts from Uniblitz (you need a
      >> shutter, and a driver to trigger it). Not exactly cheap, but workable. This
      >> assumes the camera has a relay connection to trigger an external shutter;
      >> many do.
      >>
      >> Ron Wodaski

    • Stan
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 15, 2013
        --- "Orly" <orly.andico@...> wrote:
        > I just measured my NELM...
        > is 16.87 mag / sq arc-sec.

        That's pretty bright. BTW, you can also use my method/calculator for sky brightness (can be used for selected spectro, i.e. calculate sky brightness for filter pass-band):

        http://www.stanmooreastro.com/CCD_topics.html
        (second link down)

        > given such a (terrible) amount of sky fog, is my goal still
        > practical?

        what exactly is your goal?

        If it is emission nebula then use narrow band filters to remove nearly all sky glow. The limiting noise becomes readout and dark current (not sky).

        If you want galaxies then go astro-camping! (great fun)

        Stan
      • jtorelli76063
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 17, 2013
          I missed the beginning of this thread. So excuse me if it is out of context.
          I have a StarShoot Pro v2 and it does not have a shutter. I use my flip mirror as my shutter. I connected a servo motor with a belt and gears to the knob of the flip mirror. I found a serial ascom filter wheel driver on the web. I programmed a small micro controller to talk the ascom driver.
          Now in Maxim I check "use filter as shutter". And maxim will operate the flip mirror when it needs to close the shutter. I also added a switch on the micro so I can still use the Flip Mirror as a flip mirror. I had to make a small aluminum bracket to mount the motor. I used existing holes. I can post photo's and code if anybody is interested.

          JoeT
          BlindEye Obs

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > You can roll your own shutter with parts from Uniblitz (you need a shutter, and a driver to trigger it). Not exactly cheap, but workable. This assumes the camera has a relay connection to trigger an external shutter; many do.
          >
          > Ron Wodaski
          >

          > On Mar 15, 2013, at 9:09 AM, Stan <stan_ccd@...> wrote:
          >
          > > --- Orlando Andico <orly.andico@> wrote:
          > >> ... or are they all more-or-less equivalent?
          > >
          > > Essentially all cameras based on any particular CCD are equivalent in terms of QE, read noise and dark current (per temperature) as there is little that a camera manufacturer can do about those attributes other than screw them up. The things that differentiates such cameras are form factors (e.g. lab cameras are usually large and heavy), built-in features (many lab cameras lack an internal shutter, which can be very problematic for flat fields), cooling, lens mount (usually c-mount or proprietary for lab cameras), data transmission interface (and speed of download), software drivers and compatibilities. There are also tangential but potentially important issues such as repair costs (most lab cameras cost more to repair than a new amateur camera) and obsolescence (e.g. 32 or 32/64 PCI slots have become very rare in motherboards and that card will not work in a 64 PCI bit slot).
          > >
          > > If you are OK using an old desktop machine for the camera and can figure out some sort of robust shutter for flat fields then it might be worth pursuing. The included (or more likely downloadable) software should be sufficient for manual exposures (MaxIm could be used for semi-automation, though if you don't already have it, it is a significant added expense). But it is not for the weak... <g>
          > >
          > > Comparing different CCDs is more complicated because pixel size and noise characteristics have differing effects for particular scopes, filters, applications and techniques.
          > >
          > > Stan
          > >

          > > ------------------------------------

        • Stan
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 18, 2013
            --- "jtorelli76063" <josephtorelli@...> wrote:
            > I use my flip mirror as my shutter...

            Do you take/use flats?

            A flip mirror probably produces bad flats because it exposes one side longer than the other, which would produce a gradient. I suppose it might be a small gradient if the flip was fast and the flat exps were long (dim target). And if it is highly stable and repeatable then you could calculate the gradient and remove it mathematically.

            Stan
          • Stan
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 18, 2013
              --- "jtorelli76063" <josephtorelli@...> wrote:
              > I have a StarShoot Pro v2 and it does not have a shutter.

              I just realized that is probably an interline CCD and does not need a physical shutter other than as a convenience for darks (a lens cap would do).

              But for non-interline (or Frame Transfer) CCDs a fast and even physical shutter is important.

              Stan