NGC1333

  • Bernard Miller
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2013
      Hi,

      The link below is to NGC1333. I have been processing and reprocessing this
      one for quite a while and am still not totally happy with it. There is way
      more noise than I expected given the amount of data I have. I am going to
      try and get one more hour each of RGB and try reprocessing to see if that
      helps. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

      http://www.azstarman.net/NGC1333.htm

      Thanks,

      Bernard

    • Stan
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2013
        --- "Bernard Miller" <bgmiller011@...> wrote:
        > http://www.azstarman.net/NGC1333.htm

        Very nice!

        That is one of my favorite objects and you did a great job. It is a difficult target because it is very dim and colorful with lots of small details.

        > ... way more noise than I expected...
        > one more hour each of RGB...

        You did not state the current total exp time(s) or acquisition / construction techniques (e.g. RGB or LRGB?). I assume RGB and I'm guessing that you have already put at least 2 hours/color into it? If so then another 1 hour/color won't make a significant impact.

        Doubling the S/N requires quadrupling the exp time and doubling the S/N usually improves the image by a marginally perceptible amount. So to really punch-up that image via color exps might require another 18 hours or more. Here are some alternate suggestions:

        Devote all the future available time to an unfiltered Lum, which collects all 3 filters/colors simultaneously so it is much more efficient than trying to boost each color individually (you already have enough coloration data). Then when you have collected all the Lum possible, combine it with the hi-res R,G,B data to make a "super-Lum". Be careful to weight the combine so that the virtual gain is identical for each component; a straightforward way to do that is to create one large stack of all calibrated/registered sub-exps. Or use the L,R,G,B masters only if you can keep track of all normalizations (including color ratios) and weight accordingly.

        Do not sharpen the dim areas. If you deconvolve then blend the deconvolution with the natural image so that dim areas only come from the natural image.

        Blur the image and then blend the blurred image with the natural and/or sharpened image(s). Or use artificial noise suppression software like Noise Nija.

        Down-sample (reduce) the image to a point where the cosmetic pixel noise becomes not objectionable. But avoid destroying good resolution via over-reduction.

        DDP scale the image so that low S/N areas are ver dim in the display. But don't create a black background.

        Stan
      • Bernard Miller
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 12, 2013
          Hi,

          The link below is to NGC1333. This is a reflection nebula in the
          constellation Preseus. Except for the central blue region, the rest of the
          nebula is very faint and took far more data than I expected (~20 hours). It
          was also very challenging to process and I appreciate all of the feedback
          and suggestions I received. I think the final version turned out much better
          than my first attempt.

          http://www.azstarman.net/NGC1333.htm

          Bernard

        • Steve C. Mitchell, Sr., O.D.
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 12, 2013
            Very nice Bernard! Like looking down the throat of a blue eyed monster! 8>) The reds are awesome. ~20 hours! That's perseverance.

            Steve
            Stephen C. Mitchell, Sr, OD
            Scopehill Observatory
            www.Scopehill.com<http://www.scopehill.com/>