RE: [ccd-newastro] A late season M45

  • Bernard Miller
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2013
      Very nice Eric.

      Bernard

      From: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Eric
      Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:29 PM
      To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ccd-newastro] A late season M45

      Hello all,

      I started down this wild, wooly and fantastic journey of imaging DSO's with
      CCD's almost ten years ago. In all those years, I had never imaged the
      Pleiades. Why? I was following a rule of thumb from back then that I believe
      is still a standing recommendation by CCD manufacturers (unless that
      recommendation has been updated since): use NABG cameras for imaging in
      light-polluted sites, ABG for dark skies. As I was imaging from our back
      yard, I picked NABG over ABG cameras. And I was never daring enough to fight
      the massive blooms that shooting the Pleiades would incur.

      That finally changed two years ago when I bought an STL-11000 from a friend.
      I didn't get much of a chance to use it though, as I was focused on imaging
      at our remote site, which had our NABG camera. I finally moved the STL-11K
      down to our remote site a few months ago, and bolted it onto our FSQ-106.
      This image represents the first light taken with this combination at our
      dark site.

      This was shot late in the season as I only got the equipment configured last
      month (February), so it's a little past the peak of this target. But I had
      to shoot something that represents the "why buy an ABG camera" all too well.
      My imaging time was shorter than I would like, so I'm pretty delighted with
      what I was able to pull out anyway given the relatively short (for me!)
      total exposure time.

      http://www.skiesbyafrica.com/Clusters/M45.html

      Questions, comments and suggestions always welcome.

      Thanks,
      Eric

    • barry.schellenberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9, 2013
        Great image Eric. Very good star colors.
        Barry