A late season M45

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2013
      Hello all,

      I started down this wild, wooly and fantastic journey of imaging DSO's with CCD's almost ten years ago. In all those years, I had never imaged the Pleiades. Why? I was following a rule of thumb from back then that I believe is still a standing recommendation by CCD manufacturers (unless that recommendation has been updated since): use NABG cameras for imaging in light-polluted sites, ABG for dark skies. As I was imaging from our back yard, I picked NABG over ABG cameras. And I was never daring enough to fight the massive blooms that shooting the Pleiades would incur.

      That finally changed two years ago when I bought an STL-11000 from a friend. I didn't get much of a chance to use it though, as I was focused on imaging at our remote site, which had our NABG camera. I finally moved the STL-11K down to our remote site a few months ago, and bolted it onto our FSQ-106. This image represents the first light taken with this combination at our dark site.

      This was shot late in the season as I only got the equipment configured last month (February), so it's a little past the peak of this target. But I had to shoot something that represents the "why buy an ABG camera" all too well. My imaging time was shorter than I would like, so I'm pretty delighted with what I was able to pull out anyway given the relatively short (for me!) total exposure time.

      http://www.skiesbyafrica.com/Clusters/M45.html

      Questions, comments and suggestions always welcome.

      Thanks,
      Eric
    • Bernard Miller
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2013
        Very nice Eric.

        Bernard

[...]

      • barry.schellenberg
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 9, 2013
          Great image Eric. Very good star colors.
          Barry