Re: Camera time out

  • Dean Drumheller
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2013
      Thanks Ron. Camera connection failed this morning. I replaced the USB, still no connect. I then found "ST-L Loader" and "SBIG Driver" not working in Device Manager and updated those.

      Not sure if either of those was an issue last night. (!) The 6303 now connects, running on the new USB. Previously it ran 2 hours then stopped. Will try another USB hub port if this fails.

      Both USB cables seem a bit loose at the camera end, but all my USB/camera connections (4) are that way. Appreciate the input and will try this .... THANKS -Dean

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
        Hubs can also be problematic; if possible I like to have a direct cable from computer to camera, and if I do have to use a hub, I put nothing on it but the camera.

        Yeah, it's not unusual for camera USB connections to be on the loose side, especially over time.

        Ron Wodaski

        On Mar 5, 2013, at 11:57 AM, Dean Drumheller <drumhellerd@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Ron. Camera connection failed this morning. I replaced the USB, still no connect. I then found "ST-L Loader" and "SBIG Driver" not working in Device Manager and updated those.
        >
        > Not sure if either of those was an issue last night. (!) The 6303 now connects, running on the new USB. Previously it ran 2 hours then stopped. Will try another USB hub port if this fails.
        >
        > Both USB cables seem a bit loose at the camera end, but all my USB/camera connections (4) are that way. Appreciate the input and will try this .... THANKS -Dean
        >
        > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Most of the time, these are USB issues, although they can also be driver issues. In this example, though, "Device not found" strongly suggests that the USB connection is lost.
        >>
        >> To identify the likely culprit, try replacing each link in the chain:
        >>
        >> * If you have a second camera, test with that. (Although this is not conclusive, since it may simply be that one camera tolerates a weakened USB cable and another doesn't)
        >> * Verify USB cable connections to make sure they are not loose or damaged
        >> * Try a new cable - use one that is new and well-made (not easy to kink, accurately sized connectors, USB 2 at a minimum, etc.)
        >> * Try a different group of USB ports on your computer
        >> * Try a different computer
        >> * Try a different brand of USB to serial (doesn't apply to camera, but a useful step for serial devices)
        >>

        >> Ron Wodaski
        >>

        >> On Mar 4, 2013, at 10:33 PM, Dean Drumheller <drumhellerd@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> With a 6303 and CCDSoft, I'm consistently getting Transmission time out error after about 1-2 hours. It also says SBIG driver, device not found, though the fan is running OK.
        >>>
        >>> Complete power off / on fixes it for a time only. Appreciate any idea what the problem / solution is. Thanks, Dean

      • larryl
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
          What about putting the focuser on the same hub as the camera? My focuser runs about once per hour>
          Larry Leitch

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
            Yes, I have 3 items running from a 6 year old USB hub !
            I replaced the camera's USB cable and successfully ran it several hours yesterday, a good sign. I will test it imaging, on the next clear night. THANKS -Dean

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
              Hey, if it works it works. If it doesn't, take the other stuff off and check again.

              Ron Wodaski
              Sent from my iPad