RE: [ccd-newastro] M42 in H-alphs

  • Bernard Miller
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
      Hemant,

      Excellent images. Very nicely done.

      Bernard

      From: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Hemant Hariyani
      Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:17 PM
      To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ccd-newastro] M42 in H-alphs

      Hello all,

      Here is a set of images of M42 in H-alpha I captured over two nights:

      http://goo.gl/0ta84

      This also happens to be first light for a Vixen NA 120 (Orion NX 120)
      that I acquired just a few days back.

      Regards
      Hemant

    • Hemant Hariyani
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 20, 2013
        Hello Mike,

        Those are really nice images and really encouraging from LP
        perspective.Thanks for sharing. What kind of a filter did you use for
        Jellyfish? I will try some LRGB out once the moon is out of the picture. I
        have been getting a lot of gradient from moon in my narrowband filters.

        Regards
        Hemant

        On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Mike Garbett <mikegarbett@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Thanks for the exposure details.
        > I live in the centre of a large town with serious light pollution which
        > has always limited what I could do with dslr astrophotography. Moving to
        > the ccd camera has seen a major improvement as I can now expose through R,
        > G and B filters for at least 10 minutes before sky glow becomes an issue.
        > With narowband filters I can expose for two or three times as long and I
        > have been amazed how much more detail is present in my deep sky images.
        > This is one of the first images I took using Ha, OIII and SII combined as
        > per the Hubble Pallette.
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/8241414132/in/set-72157631879882176/
        >
        > Although I have managed to image the Horse-head in Ha from this heavily
        > light polluted site before using a 12nm Ha filter and a dslr, the ccd
        > camera produces far better results.
        >
        > IC443 - The Jellyfish Nebula - is the faintest object I have managed to
        > image so far at about Mag 14?
        > Bearing in mind that I can only see stars down to magnitude 3 or 4 from my
        > location, I am very pleased with what the ccd picked up in Ha!
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/8268584522/in/set-72157631879882176
        >
        > I'm sure you will be surprised how well the ccd copes with light pollution.
        >
        > Sent from my iPad

      • Hemant Hariyani
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 20, 2013
          Hello Bernard,

          Thanks a lot!

          Regards
          Hemant

          On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Bernard Miller <bgmiller011@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hemant,
          >
          > Excellent images. Very nicely done.
          >
          > Bernard

        • Mike Garbett
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 22, 2013
            I used a Baader 6nm Ha filter on my Atik 428ex camera for the Jellyfish image and added exposures through Baader OIII and SII filters for the other narrowband images. I also use matching series of Baader LRGB filters and find the whole set almost perfectly par-focal when used in the Atik filter wheel which makes life pretty easy compared to when I was working with cheap, unmatched filters in a manual filter wheel. A clear case of throwing cash at a problem working out for once!

            Mike

            Sent from my iPad