Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: M42 in H-alphs

  • Hemant Hariyani
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 18, 2013
      Hello Mike,

      Thanks a lot. I do intend to try LRGB and add this sometime but I am not
      sure if my telescope will be able to handle LRGB - it is an achromat. I
      have had moderate success with very bright objects with AT6RC but it isn't
      as sharp as the refractor. Besides, I image from the heart of DFW
      metroplex :( and LP will be a biig problem.

      Exposure time : 20mins x 6, 10 mins x 13, 2mins x 30, 30s x 10 (Total: 5
      hrs 15 mins)

      Regards

      On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Mike Garbett <mikegarbett@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Excellent detail.
      > I have tried this target several times in Ha using a modified dslr with
      > some limited success but, as I have just bought an Atik CCD plus narrow
      > band filters...... it is back on my todo list!
      > First attempts using Ha, OIII and SII in various combinations produced
      > some images which were very different to traditional RGB shots of this
      > target and I would like to explore this technique.
      > The Ha seems to provide lots of extra detail and it would be fun to
      > combine this with RGB data.
      > Can you provide any data re total exposure and/or subs you used please?
      >
      > Sent from my iPad

    • Mike Garbett
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
        Thanks for the exposure details.
        I live in the centre of a large town with serious light pollution which has always limited what I could do with dslr astrophotography. Moving to the ccd camera has seen a major improvement as I can now expose through R, G and B filters for at least 10 minutes before sky glow becomes an issue. With narowband filters I can expose for two or three times as long and I have been amazed how much more detail is present in my deep sky images.
        This is one of the first images I took using Ha, OIII and SII combined as per the Hubble Pallette.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/8241414132/in/set-72157631879882176/

        Although I have managed to image the Horse-head in Ha from this heavily light polluted site before using a 12nm Ha filter and a dslr, the ccd camera produces far better results.

        IC443 - The Jellyfish Nebula - is the faintest object I have managed to image so far at about Mag 14?
        Bearing in mind that I can only see stars down to magnitude 3 or 4 from my location, I am very pleased with what the ccd picked up in Ha!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/8268584522/in/set-72157631879882176

        I'm sure you will be surprised how well the ccd copes with light pollution.

        Sent from my iPad

      • Bernard Miller
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
          Hemant,

          Excellent images. Very nicely done.

          Bernard

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 20, 2013
            Hello Mike,

            Those are really nice images and really encouraging from LP
            perspective.Thanks for sharing. What kind of a filter did you use for
            Jellyfish? I will try some LRGB out once the moon is out of the picture. I
            have been getting a lot of gradient from moon in my narrowband filters.

            Regards
            Hemant

            On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Mike Garbett <mikegarbett@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Thanks for the exposure details.
            > I live in the centre of a large town with serious light pollution which
            > has always limited what I could do with dslr astrophotography. Moving to
            > the ccd camera has seen a major improvement as I can now expose through R,
            > G and B filters for at least 10 minutes before sky glow becomes an issue.
            > With narowband filters I can expose for two or three times as long and I
            > have been amazed how much more detail is present in my deep sky images.
            > This is one of the first images I took using Ha, OIII and SII combined as
            > per the Hubble Pallette.
            >
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/8241414132/in/set-72157631879882176/
            >
            > Although I have managed to image the Horse-head in Ha from this heavily
            > light polluted site before using a 12nm Ha filter and a dslr, the ccd
            > camera produces far better results.
            >
            > IC443 - The Jellyfish Nebula - is the faintest object I have managed to
            > image so far at about Mag 14?
            > Bearing in mind that I can only see stars down to magnitude 3 or 4 from my
            > location, I am very pleased with what the ccd picked up in Ha!
            >
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/8268584522/in/set-72157631879882176
            >
            > I'm sure you will be surprised how well the ccd copes with light pollution.
            >
            > Sent from my iPad

          • Hemant Hariyani
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 20, 2013
              Hello Bernard,

              Thanks a lot!

              Regards
              Hemant

              On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Bernard Miller <bgmiller011@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hemant,
              >
              > Excellent images. Very nicely done.
              >
              > Bernard

            • Mike Garbett
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 22, 2013
                I used a Baader 6nm Ha filter on my Atik 428ex camera for the Jellyfish image and added exposures through Baader OIII and SII filters for the other narrowband images. I also use matching series of Baader LRGB filters and find the whole set almost perfectly par-focal when used in the Atik filter wheel which makes life pretty easy compared to when I was working with cheap, unmatched filters in a manual filter wheel. A clear case of throwing cash at a problem working out for once!

                Mike

                Sent from my iPad