Suggestions for first Ha target?

  • larryl
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14, 2013
      Hi,

      I would soon like to try my Ha filter. Does anybody have suggestions for a first target? My equipment is a Tak EM-200 Temma-2, Tak-130 refractor, and a STT-8300 camera. I live 20 miles from Wash D.C. Lots of light pollution.

      Thanks.
      Larry Leitch
    • CurtisC
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14, 2013
        Just about any nebula along the Milky Way. Consult a good star atlas. M42, Rosette, Christmas Tree Cluster (NGC 2264) are all good targets. The Crab is very small and is probably better with a long focal length.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14, 2013
          Try bright stuff to start. M42, for example. The Eskimo is very bright in ha. You can image those with ha using fairly short exposures to check things out.

          Then you can go after strong ha targets that are 'reasonably' bright - cocoon, crescent, parts of the veil. They will require longer exposure times. 5,10, 15 minute individual exposures stacked. Then try the dim stuff like the horse head and pelican. 30 and 45 minute exposures are not at all unreasonable for targets like that, and require superior guiding skills.

          Ron Wodaski
          Sent from my iPad

          On Feb 14, 2013, at 12:17 PM, larryl <k3fit@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I would soon like to try my Ha filter. Does anybody have suggestions for a first target? My equipment is a Tak EM-200 Temma-2, Tak-130 refractor, and a STT-8300 camera. I live 20 miles from Wash D.C. Lots of light pollution.
          >
          > Thanks.
          > Larry Leitch
          >

          > ------------------------------------

        • Mike Dodd
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14, 2013
            > I would soon like to try my Ha filter. Does anybody have suggestions
            > for a first target? My equipment is a Tak EM-200 Temma-2, Tak-130
            > refractor, and a STT-8300 camera. I live 20 miles from Wash D.C. Lots
            > of light pollution.

            * Horsehead

            * Rosette (try the Y-spiral on the north edge, the clouds on the NW
            side, or the interesting formations on the SE side.
            <http://astronomy.mdodd.com/nebulae-04.html#Southeast>

            HTH.

            Mike Dodd
            http://astronomy.mdodd.com
            Louisa County, Virginia USA N37.58.23 W77.56.24
          • CurtisC
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14, 2013
              Yes! Anybody who's spent hours trying to see it visually will enjoy capturing it with a CCD.

              > * Horsehead
            • Orlando Andico
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 14, 2013
                In my experience the horse head is a pretty easy target. 10 minute subs are
                pretty rewarding even from my light polluted locale and color camera.