Re: Computing LST

  • ramastronomy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2013
      Thanks Phil ! :)

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "phils67" wrote:

      > Assuming you mean local sidereal time, you can use the calculator located at:
      > http://www.csgnetwork.com/siderealjuliantimecalc.html
      >
      > I'd get a small portable digital clock. If you want to use it all night, set it in the afternoon and it'll be good until just before midnight. When you run the calculator, do a calculation for a few minutes after midnight and reset the clock using your digital watch as a time standard if you're staying up late. It'll be correct until almost midnight when you'll need to make another correction to account for Earth's orbital movement.
      >
      > As an aside, why do you need to be able to repeatedly calculate LST?
      >
      > Phil
      >
      > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "ramastronomy" wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I would really appreciate any help with an algorithm to compute LST. I found a few on the net but they are complex and none of them seems to work properly.
      > >
      > > Best regards,
      > >
      > > R,

    • lmbuck2000
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2013
        if you want to spend a little money, you can buy a real sidereal clock from this fella in the UK

        http://www.awrtech.co.uk/sc110mk3.htm

        he will ship to the US. i really enjoy this clock. shows LST or UTC. runs on AC, DC, or 9v battery. has red LED backlight if you want to run it in an observatory.

        Lee

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "ramastronomy" wrote:

        > Thanks Phil ! :)

      • ramastronomy