Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: Guiding/Flexure issue with ST-8300 with OAG

  • bgmiller011@cox.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2013
      Stan,

      It was definitely guiding. You can see the guide corrections being issued after the v-offset jumps from near 0 to -27. The long string of 0.40 are the corrections, which represent the max_move value I set in Maxim. A guide correction of 0.40 represents 6 arcseconds or about 6 pixels at my plate scale.

      Thanks,

      Bernard

      ---- Stan <stan_ccd@...> wrote:
      > If I am reading the guide log correctly it looks like there may have been no guiding at all. Check your signal connections and confirm that the software is issuing guide pulses that are enacted by the mount.
      >
      > You can test the guide chain by pushing the OTA with your hand then watch the guider/computer/mount respond (or not).
      >
      > Stan

    • dmwmpd
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2013
        Hi Bernard,

        Check your settings for agressivenes and min and max move for your DEC. You are detecting errors but not issuing correction commands of any significance. That isn't a cable! It's in your settings.

        Don W

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

        > Stan,
        >
        > It was definitely guiding. You can see the guide corrections being issued after the v-offset jumps from near 0 to -27. The long string of 0.40 are the corrections, which represent the max_move value I set in Maxim. A guide correction of 0.40 represents 6 arcseconds or about 6 pixels at my plate scale.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Bernard
        >
        > ---- Stan wrote:
        > > If I am reading the guide log correctly it looks like there may have been no guiding at all. Check your signal connections and confirm that the software is issuing guide pulses that are enacted by the mount.
        > >
        > > You can test the guide chain by pushing the OTA with your hand then watch the guider/computer/mount respond (or not).
        > >
        > > Stan

      • Stan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2013
          --- ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, wrote:
          > You can see the guide corrections being issued after the
          > v-offset jumps from near 0 to -27. The long string of 0.40
          > are the corrections, which represent the max_move value
          > I set in Maxim.

          So the main issue is what moved the mount by such a large jump, especially if it happens repeatedly. Ron's suggestion of cable drag/snag is a possible culprit but there are other possibilities such as draw-tube or adapater slop. I would monitor guide stats and the mount/OTA in real time.

          The other issue is the overly restrictive 0.40 setting. Is there a reason for that? Had that parameter not been so constrained the mount might have recovered soon enough to trivialize that bump.

          Stan
        • JoeMize
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 9, 2013
            Keep in mind even if your Min Move settings are correct Max Move set too low
            will limit the amount of correction. Try using the Default Max Move then,
            as required, adjust Max Move to your needs. Max Move set too low will also
            be evident when Dithering, if set too low it will take several guider cycles
            to bring the star back to the line...joe :)

            "May You Go Among The Imperishable Stars"
            Joe Mize www.cav-sfo.com
            Chiefland Astronomy Village (CAV), Fla
            StarFields Observatory, (SFO).