M74: Face-on spiral galaxy

  • Jeff Armstrong
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2013
      Messier 74 is a face-on spiral galaxy in the constellation Pisces. It is at a
      distance of about 32 million light-years away from Earth. The galaxy contains
      two clearly defined spiral arms and is therefore used as an archetypal example
      of a Grand Design Spiral Galaxy. The galaxy's low surface brightness makes it
      the most difficult Messier object for amateur astronomers to observe. It is
      estimated that M74 is home to about 100 billion stars.

      Always found this object to be difficult because of the low surface brightness
      and my light polluted skies.  I gathered as much data as I could until I saw
      diminishing returns.

      This image closes out 2012 for me.  I look forward to the year ahead and the
      continued pursuit of better images.

      Happy New Year and clear skies to everyone.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/army5/8339430098/

      Jeff Armstrong

    • Ron Brant

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2013
          Yes. This galaxy has been difficult for me, too. I've shot it eight times over the last several years. It always looks to me like it's a bit out-of-focus, even when it isn't.