Re: APOD NGC 604

  • randy_nulman
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
      Hi Don,
      I wanted to add my kudos to all the other "congrats"!! Beautiful image by the way.

      Regards,
      Randy Nulman

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:

      > I just wanted to let the group know that I feel very honored that one of the
      > Hubble Legacy Archive images I processed was selected as todays APOD. This
      > is the first APOD for me. Hopefully it will not be the last.
      >
      > http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121211.html
      >
      > Best regards to all.
      >
      > Don Waid
      > http://www.waid-observatory.com

    • Don
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
        Lee,

        Thank you for the kind comments. They are appreciated! One of the reasons
        I searched for NGC604 in the Hubble Legacy Archive is exactly what you
        referred to. I had just imaged M33 and thought I might find something in
        the Hubble data that might show detail of the "big red blob" object. The
        filters used by the Hubble were not ideal for making a "true color" image.
        I had to use a combination of wideband and narrowband filtered images. I
        used 656 nm narrowband for Red (basically Ha), 555 nm wideband for Green,
        and 336 nm wideband for Blue (upper ultra violet range, sometimes referred
        to as f336U). I used these to make what I called a "near true color image".
        The APOD image was cropped and rotated from my composition. The Hubble
        WFPC2 camera was used and I guess they wanted to remove the "saw-tooth"
        format of the camera. The version I did, slightly modified from what I sent
        APOD, is at the following link.

        http://www.waid-observatory.com/NGC0604-2012-09-30-HLA-1512.html

        Thanks again for you congratulations.

        Don Waid
        http://www.waid-observatory.com

        > i thouht the coolest part is now i know what that large red spot is in my
        > M33 image. :-)
        >
        > Lee
        >
        > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> I just wanted to let the group know that I feel very honored that one of
        >> the
        >> Hubble Legacy Archive images I processed was selected as todays APOD.
        >> This
        >> is the first APOD for me. Hopefully it will not be the last.
        >>
        >> http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121211.html
        >>
        >> Best regards to all.
        >>
        >> Don Waid
        >> http://www.waid-observatory.com
        >>

        > ------------------------------------

      • Don
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
          Randy,

          Thank you for taking the time to offer your congratulations for my HLA image
          and APOD. A few years back, you were the first to take the time and
          patience to help me when I was just getting started with image processing.
          I have always appreciated this. If it were not for your help, I may have
          just given up. I have tried to pass on some of the knowledge you, and
          others, have given me by making tutorials available for those just starting
          out in our hobby, or should I say, passion. I attribute a great deal of
          credit for this APOD recognition to your influence on a poor "newbie" just
          starting out!

          Thanks again,