Re: APOD NGC 604

  • lmbuck2000
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
      very nice work, Don. congratulations.

      i thouht the coolest part is now i know what that large red spot is in my M33 image. :-)

      Lee

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:

      > I just wanted to let the group know that I feel very honored that one of the
      > Hubble Legacy Archive images I processed was selected as todays APOD. This
      > is the first APOD for me. Hopefully it will not be the last.
      >
      > http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121211.html
      >
      > Best regards to all.
      >
      > Don Waid
      > http://www.waid-observatory.com

    • randy_nulman
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
        Hi Don,
        I wanted to add my kudos to all the other "congrats"!! Beautiful image by the way.

        Regards,
        Randy Nulman

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:

        > I just wanted to let the group know that I feel very honored that one of the
        > Hubble Legacy Archive images I processed was selected as todays APOD. This
        > is the first APOD for me. Hopefully it will not be the last.
        >
        > http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121211.html
        >
        > Best regards to all.
        >
        > Don Waid
        > http://www.waid-observatory.com

      • Don
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
          Lee,

          Thank you for the kind comments. They are appreciated! One of the reasons
          I searched for NGC604 in the Hubble Legacy Archive is exactly what you
          referred to. I had just imaged M33 and thought I might find something in
          the Hubble data that might show detail of the "big red blob" object. The
          filters used by the Hubble were not ideal for making a "true color" image.
          I had to use a combination of wideband and narrowband filtered images. I
          used 656 nm narrowband for Red (basically Ha), 555 nm wideband for Green,
          and 336 nm wideband for Blue (upper ultra violet range, sometimes referred
          to as f336U). I used these to make what I called a "near true color image".
          The APOD image was cropped and rotated from my composition. The Hubble
          WFPC2 camera was used and I guess they wanted to remove the "saw-tooth"
          format of the camera. The version I did, slightly modified from what I sent
          APOD, is at the following link.

          http://www.waid-observatory.com/NGC0604-2012-09-30-HLA-1512.html

          Thanks again for you congratulations.

          Don Waid
          http://www.waid-observatory.com

          > i thouht the coolest part is now i know what that large red spot is in my
          > M33 image. :-)
          >
          > Lee
          >
          > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I just wanted to let the group know that I feel very honored that one of
          >> the
          >> Hubble Legacy Archive images I processed was selected as todays APOD.
          >> This
          >> is the first APOD for me. Hopefully it will not be the last.
          >>
          >> http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121211.html
          >>
          >> Best regards to all.
          >>
          >> Don Waid
          >> http://www.waid-observatory.com
          >>

          > ------------------------------------

        • Don
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
            Randy,

            Thank you for taking the time to offer your congratulations for my HLA image
            and APOD. A few years back, you were the first to take the time and
            patience to help me when I was just getting started with image processing.
            I have always appreciated this. If it were not for your help, I may have
            just given up. I have tried to pass on some of the knowledge you, and
            others, have given me by making tutorials available for those just starting
            out in our hobby, or should I say, passion. I attribute a great deal of
            credit for this APOD recognition to your influence on a poor "newbie" just
            starting out!

            Thanks again,