Re: [ccd-newastro] APOD NGC 604

  • Don
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
      Thanks Mark,

      I appreciate your very nice compliment! Being selected by APOD was
      "exciting news" for me as well!

      Don

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
        very nice work, Don. congratulations.

        i thouht the coolest part is now i know what that large red spot is in my M33 image. :-)

        Lee

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:

        > I just wanted to let the group know that I feel very honored that one of the
        > Hubble Legacy Archive images I processed was selected as todays APOD. This
        > is the first APOD for me. Hopefully it will not be the last.
        >
        > http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121211.html
        >
        > Best regards to all.
        >
        > Don Waid
        > http://www.waid-observatory.com

      • randy_nulman
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
          Hi Don,
          I wanted to add my kudos to all the other "congrats"!! Beautiful image by the way.

          Regards,
          Randy Nulman

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
            Lee,

            Thank you for the kind comments. They are appreciated! One of the reasons
            I searched for NGC604 in the Hubble Legacy Archive is exactly what you
            referred to. I had just imaged M33 and thought I might find something in
            the Hubble data that might show detail of the "big red blob" object. The
            filters used by the Hubble were not ideal for making a "true color" image.
            I had to use a combination of wideband and narrowband filtered images. I
            used 656 nm narrowband for Red (basically Ha), 555 nm wideband for Green,
            and 336 nm wideband for Blue (upper ultra violet range, sometimes referred
            to as f336U). I used these to make what I called a "near true color image".
            The APOD image was cropped and rotated from my composition. The Hubble
            WFPC2 camera was used and I guess they wanted to remove the "saw-tooth"
            format of the camera. The version I did, slightly modified from what I sent
            APOD, is at the following link.

            http://www.waid-observatory.com/NGC0604-2012-09-30-HLA-1512.html

            Thanks again for you congratulations.

            Don Waid
            http://www.waid-observatory.com

            > i thouht the coolest part is now i know what that large red spot is in my
            > M33 image. :-)
            >
            > Lee
            >
            > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> I just wanted to let the group know that I feel very honored that one of
            >> the
            >> Hubble Legacy Archive images I processed was selected as todays APOD.
            >> This
            >> is the first APOD for me. Hopefully it will not be the last.
            >>
            >> http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121211.html
            >>
            >> Best regards to all.
            >>
            >> Don Waid
            >> http://www.waid-observatory.com
            >>

            > ------------------------------------

          • Don
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
              Randy,

              Thank you for taking the time to offer your congratulations for my HLA image
              and APOD. A few years back, you were the first to take the time and
              patience to help me when I was just getting started with image processing.
              I have always appreciated this. If it were not for your help, I may have
              just given up. I have tried to pass on some of the knowledge you, and
              others, have given me by making tutorials available for those just starting
              out in our hobby, or should I say, passion. I attribute a great deal of
              credit for this APOD recognition to your influence on a poor "newbie" just
              starting out!

              Thanks again,