RE: [ccd-newastro] APOD NGC 604

  • Mark de Regt
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
      Very exciting news, Don; congratulations!

      Mark

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
        Thanks Mark,

        I appreciate your very nice compliment! Being selected by APOD was
        "exciting news" for me as well!

        Don

        > Very exciting news, Don; congratulations!
        >
        > Mark

      • lmbuck2000
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
          very nice work, Don. congratulations.

          i thouht the coolest part is now i know what that large red spot is in my M33 image. :-)

          Lee

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:

          > I just wanted to let the group know that I feel very honored that one of the
          > Hubble Legacy Archive images I processed was selected as todays APOD. This
          > is the first APOD for me. Hopefully it will not be the last.
          >
          > http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121211.html
          >
          > Best regards to all.
          >
          > Don Waid
          > http://www.waid-observatory.com

        • randy_nulman
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
            Hi Don,
            I wanted to add my kudos to all the other "congrats"!! Beautiful image by the way.

            Regards,
            Randy Nulman

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
              Lee,

              Thank you for the kind comments. They are appreciated! One of the reasons
              I searched for NGC604 in the Hubble Legacy Archive is exactly what you
              referred to. I had just imaged M33 and thought I might find something in
              the Hubble data that might show detail of the "big red blob" object. The
              filters used by the Hubble were not ideal for making a "true color" image.
              I had to use a combination of wideband and narrowband filtered images. I
              used 656 nm narrowband for Red (basically Ha), 555 nm wideband for Green,
              and 336 nm wideband for Blue (upper ultra violet range, sometimes referred
              to as f336U). I used these to make what I called a "near true color image".
              The APOD image was cropped and rotated from my composition. The Hubble
              WFPC2 camera was used and I guess they wanted to remove the "saw-tooth"
              format of the camera. The version I did, slightly modified from what I sent
              APOD, is at the following link.

              http://www.waid-observatory.com/NGC0604-2012-09-30-HLA-1512.html

              Thanks again for you congratulations.

              Don Waid
              http://www.waid-observatory.com

              > i thouht the coolest part is now i know what that large red spot is in my
              > M33 image. :-)
              >
              > Lee
              >
              > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> I just wanted to let the group know that I feel very honored that one of
              >> the
              >> Hubble Legacy Archive images I processed was selected as todays APOD.
              >> This
              >> is the first APOD for me. Hopefully it will not be the last.
              >>
              >> http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121211.html
              >>
              >> Best regards to all.
              >>
              >> Don Waid
              >> http://www.waid-observatory.com
              >>

              > ------------------------------------

            • Don
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                Randy,

                Thank you for taking the time to offer your congratulations for my HLA image
                and APOD. A few years back, you were the first to take the time and
                patience to help me when I was just getting started with image processing.
                I have always appreciated this. If it were not for your help, I may have
                just given up. I have tried to pass on some of the knowledge you, and
                others, have given me by making tutorials available for those just starting
                out in our hobby, or should I say, passion. I attribute a great deal of
                credit for this APOD recognition to your influence on a poor "newbie" just
                starting out!

                Thanks again,