APOD NGC 604

  • Don
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
      I just wanted to let the group know that I feel very honored that one of the
      Hubble Legacy Archive images I processed was selected as todays APOD. This
      is the first APOD for me. Hopefully it will not be the last.

      http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121211.html

      Best regards to all.

      Don Waid
      http://www.waid-observatory.com
    • bgmiller011@cox.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
        Way to go Don. It is amazing what you can do with a billion dolar telescope.

        Bernard

      • yahoo@wodaski.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
          > billion dollar telescope

          Keep in mind that a good chunk of that was the delivery cost. <g>

          Ron Wodaski

          On Dec 11, 2012, at 11:01 AM, bgmiller011@... wrote:

          > Way to go Don. It is amazing what you can do with a billion dolar telescope.
          >
          > Bernard
          >
          > ---- Don <don@...> wrote:
          >> I just wanted to let the group know that I feel very honored that one of the
          >> Hubble Legacy Archive images I processed was selected as todays APOD. This
          >> is the first APOD for me. Hopefully it will not be the last.
          >>
          >> http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121211.html
          >>
          >> Best regards to all.
          >>
          >> Don Waid
          >> http://www.waid-observatory.com
          >>

          > ------------------------------------

        • Don
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
            Bernard,

            Thanks for the nice comment on my HLA processing effort. Rob Gendler's
            article in Sky and Telescope really got me interested in trying my had at
            it. You're right, a "Billion Dollar Telescope" in a really "Dark Site" does
            make a difference!!

            Thanks again,

            Don Waid
            http://www.waid-observatory.com

            > Way to go Don. It is amazing what you can do with a billion dolar
            > telescope.
            >
            > Bernard
            >
            > ---- Don <don@...> wrote:
            >> I just wanted to let the group know that I feel very honored that one of
            >> the
            >> Hubble Legacy Archive images I processed was selected as todays APOD.
            >> This
            >> is the first APOD for me. Hopefully it will not be the last.
            >>
            >> http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121211.html
            >>
            >> Best regards to all.
            >>
            >> Don Waid
            >> http://www.waid-observatory.com

          • Bernard Miller
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
              Ron,

              The mount is usually the most expensive item :-)

              Bernard

              <mailto:bgmiller011%40cox.net> wrote:

              > Way to go Don. It is amazing what you can do with a billion dolar
              telescope.

              > Bernard
              >
              > ---- Don <don@... <mailto:don%40aiwebs.com> > wrote:
              >> I just wanted to let the group know that I feel very honored that one of
              the
              >> Hubble Legacy Archive images I processed was selected as todays APOD.
              This
              >> is the first APOD for me. Hopefully it will not be the last.
              >>
              >> http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121211.html
              >>
              >> Best regards to all.
              >>
              >> Don Waid
              >> http://www.waid-observatory.com

            • Mark de Regt
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
                Very exciting news, Don; congratulations!

                Mark

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
                  Thanks Mark,

                  I appreciate your very nice compliment! Being selected by APOD was
                  "exciting news" for me as well!

                  Don

                  > Very exciting news, Don; congratulations!
                  >
                  > Mark

                • lmbuck2000
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 11, 2012
                    very nice work, Don. congratulations.

                    i thouht the coolest part is now i know what that large red spot is in my M33 image. :-)

                    Lee

                    --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:

                    > I just wanted to let the group know that I feel very honored that one of the
                    > Hubble Legacy Archive images I processed was selected as todays APOD. This
                    > is the first APOD for me. Hopefully it will not be the last.
                    >
                    > http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121211.html
                    >
                    > Best regards to all.
                    >
                    > Don Waid
                    > http://www.waid-observatory.com

                  • randy_nulman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                      Hi Don,
                      I wanted to add my kudos to all the other "congrats"!! Beautiful image by the way.

                      Regards,
                      Randy Nulman

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                        Lee,

                        Thank you for the kind comments. They are appreciated! One of the reasons
                        I searched for NGC604 in the Hubble Legacy Archive is exactly what you
                        referred to. I had just imaged M33 and thought I might find something in
                        the Hubble data that might show detail of the "big red blob" object. The
                        filters used by the Hubble were not ideal for making a "true color" image.
                        I had to use a combination of wideband and narrowband filtered images. I
                        used 656 nm narrowband for Red (basically Ha), 555 nm wideband for Green,
                        and 336 nm wideband for Blue (upper ultra violet range, sometimes referred
                        to as f336U). I used these to make what I called a "near true color image".
                        The APOD image was cropped and rotated from my composition. The Hubble
                        WFPC2 camera was used and I guess they wanted to remove the "saw-tooth"
                        format of the camera. The version I did, slightly modified from what I sent
                        APOD, is at the following link.

                        http://www.waid-observatory.com/NGC0604-2012-09-30-HLA-1512.html

                        Thanks again for you congratulations.

                        Don Waid
                        http://www.waid-observatory.com

                        > i thouht the coolest part is now i know what that large red spot is in my
                        > M33 image. :-)
                        >
                        > Lee
                        >
                        > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> I just wanted to let the group know that I feel very honored that one of
                        >> the
                        >> Hubble Legacy Archive images I processed was selected as todays APOD.
                        >> This
                        >> is the first APOD for me. Hopefully it will not be the last.
                        >>
                        >> http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121211.html
                        >>
                        >> Best regards to all.
                        >>
                        >> Don Waid
                        >> http://www.waid-observatory.com
                        >>

                        > ------------------------------------

                      • Don
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                          Randy,

                          Thank you for taking the time to offer your congratulations for my HLA image
                          and APOD. A few years back, you were the first to take the time and
                          patience to help me when I was just getting started with image processing.
                          I have always appreciated this. If it were not for your help, I may have
                          just given up. I have tried to pass on some of the knowledge you, and
                          others, have given me by making tutorials available for those just starting
                          out in our hobby, or should I say, passion. I attribute a great deal of
                          credit for this APOD recognition to your influence on a poor "newbie" just
                          starting out!