Re: Focuser Recommendations?

  • larryl
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 26, 2012
      2.7 inches

      Larry

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Mark Acker <markacker@...> wrote:

      > Do you have the 2.7" or the 4" focuser?
      >
      > Mark
      >

      > ________________________________

    • larryl
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 26, 2012
        Gregory,

        I am looking for a motorized focuser so the FocusMax can control it.

        Larry

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <fyrframe@...> wrote:

        > Motorized or manual?
        >
        > I have the Williams Optics 2” DDG SCT Focuser, a beautiful piece of equipment with a digital read out for perfect focus.
        >
        > Gregory
        > Gig Harbor, WA.

      • Mark Acker
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 26, 2012
          The issue I had with my 2.7" stock Tak focuser was that it would sag under the weight of camera, filter wheel and rotator. I started with a Robofocus and it though could pull the weight at zenith, at various angles, the draw tube would bind.  I ended up choosing the FeatherTouch replacement focuser (FT3545) with MicroTouch motor kit.  It's a great piece of gear with only one downside as far as I can tell.  It's stated payload is 18 lbs, but it's MUCH larger than the stock focuser and causes a lack of in focus in some situations.  I have actually sent it back to have it shortened now as it's proven to be a bit of a problem when combined with the 67 Flattener.  Granted, I have a pretty long imaging train, but it's still a good trade, I think.  The 4" Tak focuser is ~$1200 and would have required a 2-month wait as it's a special order item and has to come from Japan.

          Whether this is a good choice for you will certainly depend on the gear you'll be using.  I wanted a way to incorporate the flattener, CAA+Takometer and Astrodon MonsterMOAG along with an STL-11000.  After having it shortened, it should all play nicely together.

          I see that Starlight does offer a pinion replacement for the TOA-130 as well, so you could just go with it and the motor kit as well.  I had previously used the TSA-120 option and it was terrific.  I found it to be much better than the stock Tak MEF.  Again, it would depend on the gear you'll be using.

          HTH,
          Mark

          ________________________________
          > I have a Takahashi TOA-130 on the way and want to add a focuser to it. Does anybody have recommendations for a focuser? Moonlite? RoboFocus? Optec?
          > All help will be appreciated.
          > Larry Leitch

        • Neil Fleming
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 26, 2012
            I'd recommend something like the Optec, Clement Bellerophon, or FLI PDF / Atlas.  These types of focusers eliminate the possibility of slippage under heavy loads.

               Cheers...Neil

            www.flemingastrophotography.com
            Also check out the astro_narrowbandYahoo group!

          • larryl
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 29, 2012
              The scope arrived yesterday and for now I plan to use the Tak focuser with possibly a Robofocus. I have a Robofocus on another scope therefore I would have to buy only the motor and the mounting bracket. A replacement pinion is a possibility. If this combo does not work then I will try other options. Start with the simplest... ;-)

              Many thanks to all.

              You have mentioned focusers that I had not even heard of. ;-)

              Larry