NGC 6992 Veil Nebula

  • epulinx
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2012
      Hello group !

      I observed deep sky objects since 10 years before to acquire a CCD in Dec 2008.
      I succeded to make W/B pictures for 3 years. My first attempts to make colored astrophotography were unsatisfactory,cause I could'nt manipulate Photoshop correctly.
      I decided to learn Ron Wodaski book and also to follow video curses with the french organisation AIP of Nicolas Outters.

      Here is my first serious colored astrophoto
      Please,could you comment,I will become better !
      cheers
      E-M Pulinx,MD

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/88448886@N02/8171815974/in/photostream
    • yahoo@wodaski.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2012
        That's a nice effort. You've got control of a lot of the elements needed for a good image: good use of the equipment, good handling of the data, and a nice job of combing the data into an image.

        Ron Wodaski

        On Nov 10, 2012, at 5:49 AM, epulinx <e_pulinx@...> wrote:

        > Hello group !
        >
        > I observed deep sky objects since 10 years before to acquire a CCD in Dec 2008.
        > I succeded to make W/B pictures for 3 years. My first attempts to make colored astrophotography were unsatisfactory,cause I could'nt manipulate Photoshop correctly.
        > I decided to learn Ron Wodaski book and also to follow video curses with the french organisation AIP of Nicolas Outters.
        >
        > Here is my first serious colored astrophoto
        > Please,could you comment,I will become better !
        > cheers
        > E-M Pulinx,MD
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/88448886@N02/8171815974/in/photostream
        >

        > ------------------------------------

      • Emile-Marie Pulinx
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
          Dear M Wodaski,

          I didn't hope a response from you directly ! What a encouragement ..!

          But I have still to read and re-read your book...

          -my cropping is not perfect, that's why I have on the right extremity of the photo a badly recut border who gives the aspect of a brown -violet column

          -my curves are non optimal,cause I have a saturated white places in the Veil.. it makes time, before to be able to bring "curves" under control,even with the help of your book !
          -I still have color problems for gradients,as I live only 30 km away from the heart of Brussels,Belgium;

          You write,on page 147 of your book, that the solution to color problems from gradients is to fix the gradients in each color channel first with Russel Croman's Gradient Xterminator. With Ha-emitting objects, should it be better to apply this particular plug-in during the PS reconstruction on the Ha-R channel and the RGB channel ,or on each color channel first?

          Kind regards
          E-M Pulinx,MD

        • yahoo@wodaski.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
            Cropping is easy to fix. <g>

            As far as Curves goes, you can improve the situation in an LRGB combine by holding back on the L curve, so that you keep decent color saturation in the RGB layer. Or, you can acquire a lot more RGB data to get better balance between L and RGB.

            There is another tool available for gradients, but it would require a big shift in how you process your images: PixInsight. The PI Dynamic Background Extractor is a very powerful tool for cleaning up gradients and other background problems.

            You might also try removing the gradient with Russ's tool using combined Photoshop layers (select layers, Control-E to combine them). The only way to know for sure what works best for your particular situation is to try different techniques and compare the results.

            Ron Wodaski

            On Nov 11, 2012, at 3:57 AM, Emile-Marie Pulinx <e_pulinx@...> wrote:

            > Dear M Wodaski,
            >
            > I didn't hope a response from you directly ! What a encouragement ..!
            >
            > But I have still to read and re-read your book...
            >
            > -my cropping is not perfect, that's why I have on the right extremity of the photo a badly recut border who gives the aspect of a brown -violet column
            >
            > -my curves are non optimal,cause I have a saturated white places in the Veil.. it makes time, before to be able to bring "curves" under control,even with the help of your book !
            > -I still have color problems for gradients,as I live only 30 km away from the heart of Brussels,Belgium;
            >
            > You write,on page 147 of your book, that the solution to color problems from gradients is to fix the gradients in each color channel first with Russel Croman's Gradient Xterminator. With Ha-emitting objects, should it be better to apply this particular plug-in during the PS reconstruction on the Ha-R channel and the RGB channel ,or on each color channel first?
            >
            > Kind regards
            > E-M Pulinx,MD

          • Pete Su
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
              I'll put in a another good word for the Pixinsight background tool. It is pretty amazing.

              Pete