Re: What ccd camera to buy?

  • Randy
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012
      Hi Mark,

      I do not have enough experience to recommend a camera for you. The only advice that I can give is if you buy one that is a recent release make sure to verify which software programs are available to use it. Also make sure that decent documentation exists for the camera. I made the mistake of buying one of the first Starlite Xpress's M26C's. The software that came with it was still in development and still needed a lot of work. I had to give up my camera for almost two months because I sent it to Craig Stark (Nebulosity) so that he could develop his software for it. There were no other software packages (including MaxmDL) that supported it.

      That said, Starlite Xpress was very responsive to helping me. Their customer support is very good. The guy that did develop their software was also very responsive and nice to work with. I have been happy with the camera once I was able to start using it.

      Randy
      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Mark Striebeck <mark.striebeck@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > So far, I took images with my Nikon D7000. Now, I want to switch to a CCD
      > camera. But have no idea which one to buy. One constraint, I have is that I
      > want to do hyperstar imaging with my Celestron 8" EDGE scope. Which means I
      > have to get one of (according to
      > http://starizona.com/acb/hyperstar/whatis.aspx):
      >
      > - Astrovid StellaCam
      > - Atik 3-Series
      > - Atik 4-Series
      > - Celestron Nightscape
      > - Mallincam
      > - Meade DSI & DSI Pro
      > - Orion StarShoot (I, II, and G3)
      > - Starlight Xpress (all models except H35/36)
      >
      > I probably want to get a color camera (hyperstar probably won't support an
      > additional filter wheel). But what are the pro's and con's of the different
      > brands and models?
      >
      > Thanks for any pointers (comparisons or previous discussions)!
      >
      > MarkS

    • Kevin Dixon
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012
        Hi Mark,

        I have experience with three of the cameras on your list and their use with the HyperStar lens and an 8-inch EdgeHD SCT. They are the ATIK 420, the Celestron Nightscape and the Starlight Xpress SXV-H9. Of the three, I recommend the Starlight Xpress due to its low noise characteristics and ease of use. Next would be the ATIK camera followed by the Nightscape.

        I use a monochrome camera and simply insert whatever filter I want to use into the HyperStar lens. I would recommend going this direction as the monochrome cameras have greater sensitivity than the one shot color cameras. It is a little bit more effort to change out the filters but I think it is worth it.

        I hope this is of some help.

        Clear skies,
        Kevin Dixon
        www.magnificentheavens.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012
          --- Mark Striebeck <mark.striebeck@...> wrote:
          > So far, I took images with my Nikon D7000.
          > Now, I want to switch to a CCD camera...
          > I want to do hyperstar imaging with my Celestron 8" EDGE scope.

          If Hyperstaring is your main intent then DSLR or ICL (e.g. Sony Nex) are basically as good as and is some ways potentially better than astro CCD cameras, esp if you also want "one shot color". The super-fast lens compensates for most DSLR failings by flooding the pixels with light.

          Nikon cameras have had a poor reputation for astro due to excessive DSP (the "raw" file is overly massaged), though maybe the newer models are better.

          Canon DSLR has become the de-facto standard for astro and they market an overpriced version aimed at the astro market. But Canon has been sitting on their hands for too long and has been vastly surpassed by Sony and a few other innovators. I recently sold all of my Canon APS gear because my Nex-5 is a clearly superior camera in many ways, at least for terrestrial and "nightscape" uses. Of course, all DSLR/ICL cameras (excpt the Canon astro model) have poor QE for H-alpha unless they are modified (I rather prefer the more natural look from unmodified cameras).

          If you want to use the scope at prime (f/10) or modestly reduced prime (f/7) then an astro CCD will produce superior results, esp if it is NOT "one shot color". If you are ready to "get serious" about astro imaging then get a real CCD.

          Stan