M15 - Globular Cluster

  • Jeff Armstrong
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2012
      Messier 15 is a globular cluster in the constellation Pegasus.  M15 is about
      33,600 light-years from Earth, and 175 light years in diameter. It has an
      absolute magnitude of -9.2, which translates to a total luminosity of 360,000
      times that of the Sun.

      Apparent Magnitude: +6.2
      Apparent Dimensions: 18'

      I imaged this object at the end of August with my Lepus 0.62 FR.  With the moon
      out the past week I decided to redo this at f/10.  I more than doubled the subs
      and the results are much better.

      M15
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/army5/8151934912/

      Jeff Armstrong

    • Stan
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2012
        --- Jeff Armstrong <army5@...> wrote:
        > ... redo this at f/10 ... and the results are much better.
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/army5/8151934912/

        Pretty cool. Globulars need long FL, good seeing, etc. so you did the right thing in removing the reducer.

        Here is my recent pic of M15 (EMCCD on C-14, fwhm = 1.4"):

        http://www.stanmooreastro.com/images/m15_SM.JPG

        Also, M15 has a small planetary nebula (rare in globular clusters) that has diameter of only 1-2 arcsec - "Pease 1". Here is an old ST-7 image that does not really resolve it but does pinpoint Pease 1 via H-a filter (try to locate Pease 1 in your image via asterisms):

        http://www.stanmooreastro.com/images/M15_Pease-1.jpg

        Stan