OT M31 from Spruce Knob, WV

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2012
      Hi Everyone =)

      I would like to share my recent image of the Andromeda Galaxy (M31)
      taken from Spruce Knob, WV on Thursday October 11th, 2012.

      I had the pleasure of traveling back down to Spruce Knob one last time
      before winter earlier this October and as usual the mountain beauty was
      a site to behold. Nothing could beat the vibrantly colored Fall leaves
      and the promising weather report; both made for an exceptional drive
      down =)

      I arrived and setup camp Thursday evening and enjoyed two clear, yet
      chilly 30 degree, nights before I left Saturday afternoon.

      This image represents 88 minutes of exposure at ISO 800 with my 8"
      F/2.8 Boren Simon Astrograph. I surely would have liked to gather about
      4 times the amount of data, but the dew eventually put an end to my
      late chilly night.

      As my quest for graduate school continues I am very pleased have spent
      a few evenings relaxing under pristine West Virginia skies =)

      Image Page:

      http://matthewdieterich.zenfolio.com/p138982922/h493702f8#h493702f8
      <http://matthewdieterich.zenfolio.com/p138982922/h493702f8#h493702f8>

      High Resolution Version:

      http://matthewdieterich.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v62/p1228342008.jpg
      <http://matthewdieterich.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v62/p1228342008.jpg>

      Please let me know what you think about this image.

      I hope you enjoy the view =)

      Best regards,

      Matthew Dieterich
      Senior: Robert Morris University: Environmental Science

    • Mark Acker
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 29, 2012
        Terrific image Matthew.  Just FYI, the Hi Res version link produces a "Content Protected by Owner."

        Mark

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 29, 2012
          Hi Mark,

          Thank you very much for the kind comments =)

          See if this new link works.

          www.MatthewDieterich.Zenfolio.com

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 29, 2012
            Very deep image Matt for the limited exposure time. That is one amazingly "fast" scope.
            Bob R.

            Senior-Robert Morris University-Environmental Science www.MatthewDieterich.Zenfolio.com

            ________________________________
[...]

            ------------------------------------
          • markbmelnyk
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 30, 2012
              Great image. I particularly like your well balanced colors between you the creamy yellows of the core and the blues of the spiral arms.

              Mark M,

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 30, 2012
                Unfortunately no.  I get the same error.  No worries.

                Mark

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 30, 2012
                  It worked for me this time.
                  tnx
                  Ron

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 30, 2012
                    Must have been a cache thing.  Copied the link into Firefox and it worked.

                    Mark

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 30, 2012
                        Hi Mark,

                        Thank you very much for the kind comments =)

                        I am very pleased with the results of this image.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 30, 2012
                          Hi Bob,

                          Thank you for stopping and taking a look :) I am finally able to say that I have given this scope first light under dark skies! :)

                          Matthew Dieterich