Under 20lb mount for AP

  • Orly
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 20, 2012
      hi all

      I'm looking for an under 20lb mount for AP.

      My payload weighs about 15lb and the focal length is 700mm (reduced Orion 100ED).

      Currently I am carrying it on an AP600 which carries it pretty well (which should not be a surprise). However the 600 weighs over 30 lb which makes it a bother to take down the stairs from my apartment for quick sessions. For the same reason I am not looking at the Mach1 which weighs even more than the 600.

      I do not want something which will require endless tweaking. I am aware of the declination guiding bugs in the Vixen SXW/SXD so wish to avoid that.

      I am seriously looking at the Tak EM11 but the review here -
      http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/em11_tsa102/index.htm

      is not very encouraging (in terms of the Maxim guiding graph). It's nothing like an Mach1, and even my 15-year old AP600 gets better plots than that.
    • Mike Dodd
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 20, 2012
        Orly wrote:
        > hi all
        >
        > My payload weighs about 15lb and the focal length is 700mm (reduced
        > Orion 100ED).
        >
        > Currently I am carrying it on an AP600 which carries it pretty well
        > (which should not be a surprise). However the 600 weighs over 30 lb
        > which makes it a bother to take down the stairs from my apartment for
        > quick sessions.

        20 pounds seems fairly lightweight for an imaging mount. Have you
        considered leaving your AP600 set up between sessions, and covering it
        with a tarp or a Desert Storm aluminized cover?
        <http://www.astrogizmos.com/cover%20Main.htm>

        Some people put a low-wattage light bulb inside to disperse moisture.

        Even 20 pounds can be a bother to move over stairs. I think a
        semi-permanent setup might be a better choice.

        FWIW....

        Mike Dodd
        http://astronomy.mdodd.com
        Louisa County, Virginia USA N37.58.23 W77.56.24
      • Orlando Andico
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 20, 2012
          I have nowhere to put a semi-permanent setup (no yard) and, as I'm in
          probably the most light polluted city on earth (other than Times Square)
          any imaging requires not only a trip up and down the stairs, but a long
          drive across an international border. I really wanted that Mach1, but
          realized that if I am having trouble transporting my 600, I need to go
          smaller.

          On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 2:28 AM, Mike Dodd <mike@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Orly wrote:
          > > hi all
          >

          > > My payload weighs about 15lb and the focal length is 700mm (reduced
          > > Orion 100ED).
          > >
          > > Currently I am carrying it on an AP600 which carries it pretty well
          > > (which should not be a surprise). However the 600 weighs over 30 lb
          > > which makes it a bother to take down the stairs from my apartment for
          > > quick sessions.
          >
          > 20 pounds seems fairly lightweight for an imaging mount. Have you
          > considered leaving your AP600 set up between sessions, and covering it
          > with a tarp or a Desert Storm aluminized cover?
          > <http://www.astrogizmos.com/cover%20Main.htm>
          >
          > Some people put a low-wattage light bulb inside to disperse moisture.
          >
          > Even 20 pounds can be a bother to move over stairs. I think a
          > semi-permanent setup might be a better choice.
          >
          > FWIW....
          > --
          > Mike
          >
          > Mike Dodd
          > http://astronomy.mdodd.com
          > Louisa County, Virginia USA N37.58.23 W77.56.24

          --
          Orlando Andico
          +65.6436.1577 | +65.8139.0251

        • Stan
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 22, 2012
            it's not possible for such a light weight mount to perform photographically (caveate below). Your 600 is the best option and unless you are dissabled should be workable.

            A poor perfromance mount can be salvaged by using an ultra-low noise camera to take 1 sec (or less) sub exps or use an AO. But I doubt that's what you have in mind.

            Stan
          • tpiccian
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 25, 2012
              I might suggest a GM-8 with an Ovision worm. Since the head goes on a Losmandy light tripod it might be what you are looking at. I doubt it would be 20 lbs combined but separately I'd bet each piece would be lighter than your ap600. But trading down from AP to Losmandy for 10 pounds doesn't really make much sense to me. Usually people go the other way!

              Tom P.

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Orly" <orly.andico@...> wrote:

              > hi all
              >
              > I'm looking for an under 20lb mount for AP.
              >
              > My payload weighs about 15lb and the focal length is 700mm (reduced Orion 100ED).
              >
              > Currently I am carrying it on an AP600 which carries it pretty well (which should not be a surprise). However the 600 weighs over 30 lb which makes it a bother to take down the stairs from my apartment for quick sessions. For the same reason I am not looking at the Mach1 which weighs even more than the 600.
              >
              > I do not want something which will require endless tweaking. I am aware of the declination guiding bugs in the Vixen SXW/SXD so wish to avoid that.
              >
              > I am seriously looking at the Tak EM11 but the review here -
              > http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/em11_tsa102/index.htm
              >
              > is not very encouraging (in terms of the Maxim guiding graph). It's nothing like an Mach1, and even my 15-year old AP600 gets better plots than that.

            • THouse
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 25, 2012
                I would not discount the EM11, if you look at the review the guide scope
                is hanging out in space and does not look like its very solid in its
                mount. The cables are not managed very well as well. Single clam shell
                on a long tube (double helps). Gotta have some differential flexure there.

                Tom