Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear and Luminance Filter?

  • Don Goldman
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 9, 2012
      Olivier,

      Look at a light source inside through the filter. Tilt the filter 45 deg. from your line of sight. The Luminance filter will begin to take on a greenish hue, whereas the Clear filter will remain colorless. Bandpasses move toward shorter wavelengths off-axis. Since Clear filters are generally just A/R-coated glass, there is no bandpass to shift.

      Don

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Olivier" <olivierfp@...> wrote:

      > And if there is not, what would be a good method?
      > Thanks in advance
      > Olivier

    • alex starseeker
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 9, 2012
        I have a similar question. I have a DSI color and a DSI Mono camera, and I've heard you can do LRGB imaging by using the DSI color for RGB and the DSI Mono for L imaging, but do I need to put an L filter on the Mono for this and do I need to do this simultaneously from two scopes or can I do them consecutively from the same scope? Do I need an equatorial mount or can I do it with an automatic Goto Alt Az mount like the SE single arm fork? I have a Nextstar 8 SE scope.
        To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
        From: ghsmith45@...
        Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:00:53 +0000
        Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear and Luminance Filter?

        So simple but so left field. How did you come up with this Don?

        Geoff

      • yahoo@wodaski.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 9, 2012
          If your subject doesn't move (e.g., planetary nebuala, galaxy, etc.), then you can image a year later and it will be OK.

          Likewise, you can combine images from different cameras (as long as your combine software can handle any scaling required due to differences in focal position, telescope focal length, etc.

          If you image with an alt-az mount, your exposure time will be limited by field rotation (which is what an equatorial mount takes care of). So your selection of targets will be limited to those that are fairly bright.

          Ron Wodaski

          On Sep 9, 2012, at 2:44 PM, alex starseeker <moody1515@...> wrote:

          > I have a similar question. I have a DSI color and a DSI Mono camera, and I've heard you can do LRGB imaging by using the DSI color for RGB and the DSI Mono for L imaging, but do I need to put an L filter on the Mono for this and do I need to do this simultaneously from two scopes or can I do them consecutively from the same scope? Do I need an equatorial mount or can I do it with an automatic Goto Alt Az mount like the SE single arm fork? I have a Nextstar 8 SE scope.
          > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
          > From: ghsmith45@...
          > Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:00:53 +0000
          > Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear and Luminance Filter?

          > So simple but so left field. How did you come up with this Don?
          >
          > Geoff
          >

          > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:
          >

          >> Oliver,
          >

          >> If the filter is not marked as clear there is an easy method to check.
          >
          >> Clear filters do not block IR and luminance filters do. To check just put
          >
          >> the filter in front of the IR emitter on your TV remote and try to change
          >
          >> the channel. If the channel changes it is clear, if not, it is luminance.
          >

          >> HTHs,
          >

          >> Don Waid
          >
          >> http://www.waid-observatory.com

        • alex starseeker
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 9, 2012
            I guess you can say they move in the sense of apparent motion due to the rotation of the earth :-) My mount is a goto alt az mount which lets me have a maximum of 30 sec to 1 min exposure before field rotation sets in.

            To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
            From: yahoo@...
            Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:34:13 -0700

            If your subject doesn't move (e.g., planetary nebuala, galaxy, etc.), then you can image a year later and it will be OK.

            Likewise, you can combine images from different cameras (as long as your combine software can handle any scaling required due to differences in focal position, telescope focal length, etc.

            If you image with an alt-az mount, your exposure time will be limited by field rotation (which is what an equatorial mount takes care of). So your selection of targets will be limited to those that are fairly bright.

            Ron Wodaski

            On Sep 9, 2012, at 2:44 PM, alex starseeker <moody1515@...> wrote:

            > I have a similar question. I have a DSI color and a DSI Mono camera, and I've heard you can do LRGB imaging by using the DSI color for RGB and the DSI Mono for L imaging, but do I need to put an L filter on the Mono for this and do I need to do this simultaneously from two scopes or can I do them consecutively from the same scope? Do I need an equatorial mount or can I do it with an automatic Goto Alt Az mount like the SE single arm fork? I have a Nextstar 8 SE scope.

            > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com

            > From: ghsmith45@...

            > Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:00:53 +0000

            > Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear and Luminance Filter?

            > So simple but so left field. How did you come up with this Don?

            > Geoff

            > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:

            >> Oliver,

            >> If the filter is not marked as clear there is an easy method to check.

            >> Clear filters do not block IR and luminance filters do. To check just put

            >> the filter in front of the IR emitter on your TV remote and try to change

            >> the channel. If the channel changes it is clear, if not, it is luminance.

            >> HTHs,

            >> Don Waid

            >> http://www.waid-observatory.com

          • alex starseeker
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 9, 2012
              oh btw do I need a luminance filter on my pro camera to do this?

              To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
              From: yahoo@...
              Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:34:13 -0700

              If your subject doesn't move (e.g., planetary nebuala, galaxy, etc.), then you can image a year later and it will be OK.

              Likewise, you can combine images from different cameras (as long as your combine software can handle any scaling required due to differences in focal position, telescope focal length, etc.

              If you image with an alt-az mount, your exposure time will be limited by field rotation (which is what an equatorial mount takes care of). So your selection of targets will be limited to those that are fairly bright.

              Ron Wodaski

              On Sep 9, 2012, at 2:44 PM, alex starseeker <moody1515@...> wrote:

              > I have a similar question. I have a DSI color and a DSI Mono camera, and I've heard you can do LRGB imaging by using the DSI color for RGB and the DSI Mono for L imaging, but do I need to put an L filter on the Mono for this and do I need to do this simultaneously from two scopes or can I do them consecutively from the same scope? Do I need an equatorial mount or can I do it with an automatic Goto Alt Az mount like the SE single arm fork? I have a Nextstar 8 SE scope.

              > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com

              > From: ghsmith45@...

              > Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:00:53 +0000

              > Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear and Luminance Filter?

              > So simple but so left field. How did you come up with this Don?

              > Geoff

              > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:

              >> Oliver,

              >> If the filter is not marked as clear there is an easy method to check.

              >> Clear filters do not block IR and luminance filters do. To check just put

              >> the filter in front of the IR emitter on your TV remote and try to change

              >> the channel. If the channel changes it is clear, if not, it is luminance.

              >> HTHs,

              >> Don Waid

              >> http://www.waid-observatory.com

            • Olivier
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 9, 2012
                Thank you Don, I will try that one as well now that I have my filters out
                Regards
                Olivier

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don Goldman" <donclearview@...> wrote:

                > Olivier,
                >
                > Look at a light source inside through the filter. Tilt the filter 45 deg. from your line of sight. The Luminance filter will begin to take on a greenish hue, whereas the Clear filter will remain colorless. Bandpasses move toward shorter wavelengths off-axis. Since Clear filters are generally just A/R-coated glass, there is no bandpass to shift.
                >
                > Don
                >

                > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Olivier" <olivierfp@> wrote:
                > >
                > > And if there is not, what would be a good method?
                > > Thanks in advance
                > > Olivier

              • Ray Hurst
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 9, 2012
                  I used both the DSI PRO and DSI Color in the past.

                  The DSI Color should have an IR filter under the screw in adapter.

                  The DSI PRO doesn't have an IR filter you will have to use one or the stars
                  will get bloated.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Ray

                  oh btw do I need a luminance filter on my pro camera to do this?

                  To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>
                  From: yahoo@... <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>
                  Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:34:13 -0700
                  and Luminance Filter?

                  <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com> , "Don" <don@...> wrote:

                  >> Oliver,

                  >> If the filter is not marked as clear there is an easy method to check.

                  >> Clear filters do not block IR and luminance filters do. To check just put

                  >> the filter in front of the IR emitter on your TV remote and try to change

                  >> the channel. If the channel changes it is clear, if not, it is luminance.

                  >> HTHs,

                  >> Don Waid

                  >> http://www.waid-observatory.com

                  [mailto:ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>
                  ] On

                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 9, 2012
                    Depends. For a refractor, maybe. It depends on whether or not it brings IR/UV to focus. Try it unfiltered and see.

                    Ron Wodaski
                    Sent from my iPad

                    On Sep 9, 2012, at 4:20 PM, alex starseeker <moody1515@...> wrote:

                    > oh btw do I need a luminance filter on my pro camera to do this?
                    >

                    > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: yahoo@...
                    > Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:34:13 -0700
                    > Subject: Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear and Luminance Filter?

                    > If your subject doesn't move (e.g., planetary nebuala, galaxy, etc.), then you can image a year later and it will be OK.
                    >

                    > Likewise, you can combine images from different cameras (as long as your combine software can handle any scaling required due to differences in focal position, telescope focal length, etc.
                    >

                    > If you image with an alt-az mount, your exposure time will be limited by field rotation (which is what an equatorial mount takes care of). So your selection of targets will be limited to those that are fairly bright.
                    >

                    > Ron Wodaski
                    >

                    > On Sep 9, 2012, at 2:44 PM, alex starseeker <moody1515@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >> I have a similar question. I have a DSI color and a DSI Mono camera, and I've heard you can do LRGB imaging by using the DSI color for RGB and the DSI Mono for L imaging, but do I need to put an L filter on the Mono for this and do I need to do this simultaneously from two scopes or can I do them consecutively from the same scope? Do I need an equatorial mount or can I do it with an automatic Goto Alt Az mount like the SE single arm fork? I have a Nextstar 8 SE scope.
                    >
                    >> To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
                    >
                    >> From: ghsmith45@...
                    >
                    >> Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:00:53 +0000
                    >
                    >> Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear and Luminance Filter?

                    >> So simple but so left field. How did you come up with this Don?
                    >

                    >> Geoff
                    >

                    >> --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >>> Oliver,
                    >

                    >>> If the filter is not marked as clear there is an easy method to check.
                    >

                    >>> Clear filters do not block IR and luminance filters do. To check just put
                    >

                    >>> the filter in front of the IR emitter on your TV remote and try to change
                    >

                    >>> the channel. If the channel changes it is clear, if not, it is luminance.
                    >

                    >>> HTHs,
                    >

                    >>> Don Waid
                    >

                    >>> http://www.waid-observatory.com

                  • alex starseeker
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 9, 2012
                      Thanks, Ron I will. It's just a standard 8" SCT (8 SE)

                      To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
                      From: yahoo@...
                      Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 22:08:38 -0700

                      Depends. For a refractor, maybe. It depends on whether or not it brings IR/UV to focus. Try it unfiltered and see.

                      Ron Wodaski

                      Sent from my iPad

                      On Sep 9, 2012, at 4:20 PM, alex starseeker <moody1515@...> wrote:

                      > oh btw do I need a luminance filter on my pro camera to do this?

                      > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com

                      > From: yahoo@...

                      > Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:34:13 -0700

                      > Subject: Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear and Luminance Filter?

                      > If your subject doesn't move (e.g., planetary nebuala, galaxy, etc.), then you can image a year later and it will be OK.

                      > Likewise, you can combine images from different cameras (as long as your combine software can handle any scaling required due to differences in focal position, telescope focal length, etc.

                      > If you image with an alt-az mount, your exposure time will be limited by field rotation (which is what an equatorial mount takes care of). So your selection of targets will be limited to those that are fairly bright.

                      > Ron Wodaski

                      > On Sep 9, 2012, at 2:44 PM, alex starseeker <moody1515@...> wrote:

                      >> I have a similar question. I have a DSI color and a DSI Mono camera, and I've heard you can do LRGB imaging by using the DSI color for RGB and the DSI Mono for L imaging, but do I need to put an L filter on the Mono for this and do I need to do this simultaneously from two scopes or can I do them consecutively from the same scope? Do I need an equatorial mount or can I do it with an automatic Goto Alt Az mount like the SE single arm fork? I have a Nextstar 8 SE scope.

                      >> To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com

                      >> From: ghsmith45@...

                      >> Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:00:53 +0000

                      >> Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear and Luminance Filter?

                      >> So simple but so left field. How did you come up with this Don?

                      >> Geoff

                      >> --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:

                      >>> Oliver,

                      >>> If the filter is not marked as clear there is an easy method to check.

                      >>> Clear filters do not block IR and luminance filters do. To check just put

                      >>> the filter in front of the IR emitter on your TV remote and try to change

                      >>> the channel. If the channel changes it is clear, if not, it is luminance.

                      >>> HTHs,

                      >>> Don Waid

                      >>> http://www.waid-observatory.com

                      >>> Subject: [ccd-newastro] Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear and

                      >>> Luminance Filter?

                      >>> And if there is not, what would be a good method?

                      >>> Thanks in advance

                      >>> Olivier

                      >> ------------------------------------

                    • alex starseeker
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 9, 2012
                        Thanks! I wonder if the Pro 2 has an IR filter or not? Do all the color cams have IR filters and the Pro cams do not?

                        To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com

                        To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                        From: yahoo@... <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>

                        Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:34:13 -0700

                        and Luminance Filter?

                        If your subject doesn't move (e.g., planetary nebuala, galaxy, etc.), then

                        you can image a year later and it will be OK.

                        Likewise, you can combine images from different cameras (as long as your

                        combine software can handle any scaling required due to differences in focal

                        position, telescope focal length, etc.

                        If you image with an alt-az mount, your exposure time will be limited by

                        field rotation (which is what an equatorial mount takes care of). So your

                        selection of targets will be limited to those that are fairly bright.

                        Ron Wodaski

                        On Sep 9, 2012, at 2:44 PM, alex starseeker <moody1515@...

                        <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com> > wrote:

                        > I have a similar question. I have a DSI color and a DSI Mono camera, and

                        I've heard you can do LRGB imaging by using the DSI color for RGB and the

                        DSI Mono for L imaging, but do I need to put an L filter on the Mono for

                        this and do I need to do this simultaneously from two scopes or can I do

                        them consecutively from the same scope? Do I need an equatorial mount or can

                        I do it with an automatic Goto Alt Az mount like the SE single arm fork? I

                        have a Nextstar 8 SE scope.

                        > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                        > From: ghsmith45@... <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>

                        > Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:00:53 +0000

                        > Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear

                        and Luminance Filter?

                        > So simple but so left field. How did you come up with this Don?

                        > Geoff

                        > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com

                        <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com> , "Don" <don@...> wrote:

                        >> Oliver,

                        >> If the filter is not marked as clear there is an easy method to check.

                        >> Clear filters do not block IR and luminance filters do. To check just put

                        >> the filter in front of the IR emitter on your TV remote and try to change

                        >> the channel. If the channel changes it is clear, if not, it is luminance.

                        >> HTHs,

                        >> Don Waid

                        >> http://www.waid-observatory.com

                      • alex starseeker
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 10, 2012
                          According to this both the Pro 1 and the Pro 2 have the IR filter built in, unless they are talking about something else?

                          http://autostarsuite.net/forums/thread/8191.aspx

                          To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com

                          To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                          From: yahoo@... <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>

                          Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:34:13 -0700

                          and Luminance Filter?

                          If your subject doesn't move (e.g., planetary nebuala, galaxy, etc.), then

                          you can image a year later and it will be OK.

                          Likewise, you can combine images from different cameras (as long as your

                          combine software can handle any scaling required due to differences in focal

                          position, telescope focal length, etc.

                          If you image with an alt-az mount, your exposure time will be limited by

                          field rotation (which is what an equatorial mount takes care of). So your

                          selection of targets will be limited to those that are fairly bright.

                          Ron Wodaski

                          On Sep 9, 2012, at 2:44 PM, alex starseeker <moody1515@...

                          <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com> > wrote:

                          > I have a similar question. I have a DSI color and a DSI Mono camera, and

                          I've heard you can do LRGB imaging by using the DSI color for RGB and the

                          DSI Mono for L imaging, but do I need to put an L filter on the Mono for

                          this and do I need to do this simultaneously from two scopes or can I do

                          them consecutively from the same scope? Do I need an equatorial mount or can

                          I do it with an automatic Goto Alt Az mount like the SE single arm fork? I

                          have a Nextstar 8 SE scope.

                          > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                          > From: ghsmith45@... <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>

                          > Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:00:53 +0000

                          > Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear

                          and Luminance Filter?

                          > So simple but so left field. How did you come up with this Don?

                          > Geoff

                          > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com

                          <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com> , "Don" <don@...> wrote:

                          >> Oliver,

                          >> If the filter is not marked as clear there is an easy method to check.

                          >> Clear filters do not block IR and luminance filters do. To check just put

                          >> the filter in front of the IR emitter on your TV remote and try to change

                          >> the channel. If the channel changes it is clear, if not, it is luminance.

                          >> HTHs,

                          >> Don Waid

                          >> http://www.waid-observatory.com

                        • Ray Hurst
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 10, 2012
                            The DSI Pro and PRO II have an optional set of LRGB filters that are mounted
                            on a slide bar.

                            The camera itself doesn't have an IR filter.

                            To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                            From: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>
                            oh btw do I need a luminance filter on my pro camera to do this?

                            To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>
                            <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                            From: yahoo@... <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>
                            <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>

                            Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:34:13 -0700

                            and Luminance Filter?

                            If your subject doesn't move (e.g., planetary nebuala, galaxy, etc.), then

                            you can image a year later and it will be OK.

                            Likewise, you can combine images from different cameras (as long as your

                            combine software can handle any scaling required due to differences in focal

                            position, telescope focal length, etc.

                            If you image with an alt-az mount, your exposure time will be limited by

                            field rotation (which is what an equatorial mount takes care of). So your

                            selection of targets will be limited to those that are fairly bright.

                            Ron Wodaski

                            On Sep 9, 2012, at 2:44 PM, alex starseeker <moody1515@...
                            <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com>

                            <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com> > wrote:

                            > I have a similar question. I have a DSI color and a DSI Mono camera, and

                            I've heard you can do LRGB imaging by using the DSI color for RGB and the

                            DSI Mono for L imaging, but do I need to put an L filter on the Mono for

                            this and do I need to do this simultaneously from two scopes or can I do

                            them consecutively from the same scope? Do I need an equatorial mount or can

                            I do it with an automatic Goto Alt Az mount like the SE single arm fork? I

                            have a Nextstar 8 SE scope.

                            > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>
                            <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                            > From: ghsmith45@... <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>
                            <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>

                            > Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:00:53 +0000

                            > Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear

                            and Luminance Filter?

                            > So simple but so left field. How did you come up with this Don?

                            > Geoff

                            > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
                            <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                            <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com> , "Don" <don@...> wrote:

                            >> Oliver,

                            >> If the filter is not marked as clear there is an easy method to check.

                            >> Clear filters do not block IR and luminance filters do. To check just put

                            >> the filter in front of the IR emitter on your TV remote and try to change

                            >> the channel. If the channel changes it is clear, if not, it is luminance.

                            >> HTHs,

                            >> Don Waid

                            >> http://www.waid-observatory.com

                          • alex starseeker
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 10, 2012
                              Is the Pro 3 like the other two in that respect?

                              To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
                              From: ka4gbr@...
                              Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:05:23 -0400

                              To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                              From: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                              Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2012 7:21 PM

                              To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                              and Luminance Filter?

                              oh btw do I need a luminance filter on my pro camera to do this?

                              To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                              <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                              From: yahoo@... <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>

                              <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>

                              Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:34:13 -0700

                              and Luminance Filter?

                              If your subject doesn't move (e.g., planetary nebuala, galaxy, etc.), then

                              you can image a year later and it will be OK.

                              Likewise, you can combine images from different cameras (as long as your

                              combine software can handle any scaling required due to differences in focal

                              position, telescope focal length, etc.

                              If you image with an alt-az mount, your exposure time will be limited by

                              field rotation (which is what an equatorial mount takes care of). So your

                              selection of targets will be limited to those that are fairly bright.

                              Ron Wodaski

                              On Sep 9, 2012, at 2:44 PM, alex starseeker <moody1515@...

                              <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com>

                              <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com> > wrote:

                              > I have a similar question. I have a DSI color and a DSI Mono camera, and

                              I've heard you can do LRGB imaging by using the DSI color for RGB and the

                              DSI Mono for L imaging, but do I need to put an L filter on the Mono for

                              this and do I need to do this simultaneously from two scopes or can I do

                              them consecutively from the same scope? Do I need an equatorial mount or can

                              I do it with an automatic Goto Alt Az mount like the SE single arm fork? I

                              have a Nextstar 8 SE scope.

                              > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                              <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                              > From: ghsmith45@... <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>

                              <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>

                              > Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:00:53 +0000

                              > Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear

                              and Luminance Filter?

                              > So simple but so left field. How did you come up with this Don?

                              > Geoff

                              > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com

                              <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                              <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com> , "Don" <don@...> wrote:

                              >> Oliver,

                              >> If the filter is not marked as clear there is an easy method to check.

                              >> Clear filters do not block IR and luminance filters do. To check just put

                              >> the filter in front of the IR emitter on your TV remote and try to change

                              >> the channel. If the channel changes it is clear, if not, it is luminance.

                              >> HTHs,

                              >> Don Waid

                              >> http://www.waid-observatory.com

                            • Ray Hurst
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 10, 2012
                                Yes.

                                Take a look here.

                                http://www.meade.com/dsi_3/index.html

                                Is the Pro 3 like the other two in that respect?

                                To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>
                                From: ka4gbr@... <mailto:ka4gbr%40bellsouth.net>
                                Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:05:23 -0400
                                and Luminance Filter?

                                From: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>
                                According to this both the Pro 1 and the Pro 2 have the IR filter built in,

                                unless they are talking about something else?

                                http://autostarsuite.net/forums/thread/8191.aspx

                                To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>
                                <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                From: ka4gbr@... <mailto:ka4gbr%40bellsouth.net>
                                <mailto:ka4gbr%40bellsouth.net>

                                Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 21:23:45 -0400

                                and Luminance Filter?

                                From: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                From: yahoo@... <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>
                                <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>

                                <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>

                                Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:34:13 -0700

                                and Luminance Filter?

                                If your subject doesn't move (e.g., planetary nebuala, galaxy, etc.), then

                                you can image a year later and it will be OK.

                                Likewise, you can combine images from different cameras (as long as your

                                combine software can handle any scaling required due to differences in focal

                                position, telescope focal length, etc.

                                If you image with an alt-az mount, your exposure time will be limited by

                                field rotation (which is what an equatorial mount takes care of). So your

                                selection of targets will be limited to those that are fairly bright.

                                Ron Wodaski

                                On Sep 9, 2012, at 2:44 PM, alex starseeker <moody1515@...
                                <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com>

                                <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com>

                                <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com> > wrote:

                                > I have a similar question. I have a DSI color and a DSI Mono camera, and

                                I've heard you can do LRGB imaging by using the DSI color for RGB and the

                                DSI Mono for L imaging, but do I need to put an L filter on the Mono for

                                this and do I need to do this simultaneously from two scopes or can I do

                                them consecutively from the same scope? Do I need an equatorial mount or can

                                I do it with an automatic Goto Alt Az mount like the SE single arm fork? I

                                have a Nextstar 8 SE scope.

                                > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>
                                <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                > From: ghsmith45@... <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>
                                <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>

                                <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>

                                > Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:00:53 +0000

                                > Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear

                                and Luminance Filter?

                                > So simple but so left field. How did you come up with this Don?

                                > Geoff

                                > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
                                <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com> , "Don" <don@...> wrote:

                                >> Oliver,

                                >> If the filter is not marked as clear there is an easy method to check.

                                >> Clear filters do not block IR and luminance filters do. To check just put

                                >> the filter in front of the IR emitter on your TV remote and try to change

                                >> the channel. If the channel changes it is clear, if not, it is luminance.

                                >> HTHs,

                                >> Don Waid

                                >> http://www.waid-observatory.com

                              • alex starseeker
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 10, 2012
                                  Thanks! I have a question..... if I use, let's say the Meade DSI color for RGB and the Meade DSI 2 Pro for L would that work even though the FOV and resolution are different? The pixel density is very similar, the 2 Pro has a larger chip but also more pixels, so shouldn't I be able to crop out the middle and make that work? Thereby I would image twice instead of four times.

                                  To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: ka4gbr@...
                                  Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:01:44 -0400

                                  To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                  From: ka4gbr@... <mailto:ka4gbr%40bellsouth.net>

                                  Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:05:23 -0400

                                  and Luminance Filter?

                                  From: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                  Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 3:04 AM

                                  To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                  and Luminance Filter?

                                  According to this both the Pro 1 and the Pro 2 have the IR filter built in,

                                  unless they are talking about something else?

                                  http://autostarsuite.net/forums/thread/8191.aspx

                                  To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                  <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                  From: ka4gbr@... <mailto:ka4gbr%40bellsouth.net>

                                  <mailto:ka4gbr%40bellsouth.net>

                                  From: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                  From: yahoo@... <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>

                                  <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>

                                  <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>

                                  Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:34:13 -0700

                                  and Luminance Filter?

                                  If your subject doesn't move (e.g., planetary nebuala, galaxy, etc.), then

                                  you can image a year later and it will be OK.

                                  Likewise, you can combine images from different cameras (as long as your

                                  combine software can handle any scaling required due to differences in focal

                                  position, telescope focal length, etc.

                                  If you image with an alt-az mount, your exposure time will be limited by

                                  field rotation (which is what an equatorial mount takes care of). So your

                                  selection of targets will be limited to those that are fairly bright.

                                  Ron Wodaski

                                  On Sep 9, 2012, at 2:44 PM, alex starseeker <moody1515@...

                                  <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com>

                                  <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com>

                                  <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com> > wrote:

                                  > I have a similar question. I have a DSI color and a DSI Mono camera, and

                                  I've heard you can do LRGB imaging by using the DSI color for RGB and the

                                  DSI Mono for L imaging, but do I need to put an L filter on the Mono for

                                  this and do I need to do this simultaneously from two scopes or can I do

                                  them consecutively from the same scope? Do I need an equatorial mount or can

                                  I do it with an automatic Goto Alt Az mount like the SE single arm fork? I

                                  have a Nextstar 8 SE scope.

                                  > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                  <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                  <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                  > From: ghsmith45@... <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>

                                  <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>

                                  <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>

                                  > Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:00:53 +0000

                                  > Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear

                                  and Luminance Filter?

                                  > So simple but so left field. How did you come up with this Don?

                                  > Geoff

                                  > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com

                                  <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                  <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                  <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com> , "Don" <don@...> wrote:

                                  >> Oliver,

                                  >> If the filter is not marked as clear there is an easy method to check.

                                  >> Clear filters do not block IR and luminance filters do. To check just put

                                  >> the filter in front of the IR emitter on your TV remote and try to change

                                  >> the channel. If the channel changes it is clear, if not, it is luminance.

                                  >> HTHs,

                                  >> Don Waid

                                  >> http://www.waid-observatory.com

                                • alex starseeker
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 10, 2012
                                    Heh, someone who has the DSI 3 color just told me that one doesn't have an IR blocking filter either, that only the original DSI color did and after that they stopped including one because it was prone to breakage when the nozzle was unscrewed.

                                    To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: ka4gbr@...
                                    Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:01:44 -0400

                                    To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                    From: ka4gbr@... <mailto:ka4gbr%40bellsouth.net>

                                    Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:05:23 -0400

                                    and Luminance Filter?

                                    From: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                    Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 3:04 AM

                                    To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                    and Luminance Filter?

                                    According to this both the Pro 1 and the Pro 2 have the IR filter built in,

                                    unless they are talking about something else?

                                    http://autostarsuite.net/forums/thread/8191.aspx

                                    To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                    <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                    From: ka4gbr@... <mailto:ka4gbr%40bellsouth.net>

                                    <mailto:ka4gbr%40bellsouth.net>

                                    From: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                    From: yahoo@... <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>

                                    <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>

                                    <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>

                                    Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:34:13 -0700

                                    and Luminance Filter?

                                    If your subject doesn't move (e.g., planetary nebuala, galaxy, etc.), then

                                    you can image a year later and it will be OK.

                                    Likewise, you can combine images from different cameras (as long as your

                                    combine software can handle any scaling required due to differences in focal

                                    position, telescope focal length, etc.

                                    If you image with an alt-az mount, your exposure time will be limited by

                                    field rotation (which is what an equatorial mount takes care of). So your

                                    selection of targets will be limited to those that are fairly bright.

                                    Ron Wodaski

                                    On Sep 9, 2012, at 2:44 PM, alex starseeker <moody1515@...

                                    <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com>

                                    <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com>

                                    <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com> > wrote:

                                    > I have a similar question. I have a DSI color and a DSI Mono camera, and

                                    I've heard you can do LRGB imaging by using the DSI color for RGB and the

                                    DSI Mono for L imaging, but do I need to put an L filter on the Mono for

                                    this and do I need to do this simultaneously from two scopes or can I do

                                    them consecutively from the same scope? Do I need an equatorial mount or can

                                    I do it with an automatic Goto Alt Az mount like the SE single arm fork? I

                                    have a Nextstar 8 SE scope.

                                    > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                    <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                    <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                    > From: ghsmith45@... <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>

                                    <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>

                                    <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>

                                    > Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:00:53 +0000

                                    > Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear

                                    and Luminance Filter?

                                    > So simple but so left field. How did you come up with this Don?

                                    > Geoff

                                    > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com

                                    <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                    <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                    <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com> , "Don" <don@...> wrote:

                                    >> Oliver,

                                    >> If the filter is not marked as clear there is an easy method to check.

                                    >> Clear filters do not block IR and luminance filters do. To check just put

                                    >> the filter in front of the IR emitter on your TV remote and try to change

                                    >> the channel. If the channel changes it is clear, if not, it is luminance.

                                    >> HTHs,

                                    >> Don Waid

                                    >> http://www.waid-observatory.com

                                  • ka4gbr
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 11, 2012
                                      That scenario will work.
                                      Some folks use a DSLR for their RGB and a Mono CCD for the Luminance.

                                      ________________________________

                                      From: ka4gbr@...
                                      Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:01:44 -0400
                                      Luminance Filter?

                                      To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                      From: ka4gbr@... <mailto:ka4gbr%40bellsouth.net>

                                      Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:05:23 -0400

                                      and Luminance Filter?

                                      From: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                      Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 3:04 AM

                                      To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                      and Luminance Filter?

                                      According to this both the Pro 1 and the Pro 2 have the IR filter built in,

                                      unless they are talking about something else?

                                      http://autostarsuite.net/forums/thread/8191.aspx

                                      To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                      <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                      From: ka4gbr@... <mailto:ka4gbr%40bellsouth.net>

                                      <mailto:ka4gbr%40bellsouth.net>

                                      Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 21:23:45 -0400

                                      and Luminance Filter?

                                      From: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                      From: yahoo@... <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>

                                      <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>

                                      <mailto:yahoo%40wodaski.com>

                                      Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:34:13 -0700

                                      and Luminance Filter?

                                      If your subject doesn't move (e.g., planetary nebuala, galaxy, etc.), then

                                      you can image a year later and it will be OK.

                                      Likewise, you can combine images from different cameras (as long as your

                                      combine software can handle any scaling required due to differences in focal

                                      position, telescope focal length, etc.

                                      If you image with an alt-az mount, your exposure time will be limited by

                                      field rotation (which is what an equatorial mount takes care of). So your

                                      selection of targets will be limited to those that are fairly bright.

                                      Ron Wodaski

                                      On Sep 9, 2012, at 2:44 PM, alex starseeker <moody1515@...

                                      <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com>

                                      <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com>

                                      <mailto:moody1515%40msn.com> > wrote:

                                      > I have a similar question. I have a DSI color and a DSI Mono camera, and

                                      I've heard you can do LRGB imaging by using the DSI color for RGB and the

                                      DSI Mono for L imaging, but do I need to put an L filter on the Mono for

                                      this and do I need to do this simultaneously from two scopes or can I do

                                      them consecutively from the same scope? Do I need an equatorial mount or can

                                      I do it with an automatic Goto Alt Az mount like the SE single arm fork? I

                                      have a Nextstar 8 SE scope.

                                      > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                      <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                      <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                      > From: ghsmith45@... <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>

                                      <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>

                                      <mailto:ghsmith45%40gmail.com>

                                      > Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:00:53 +0000

                                      > Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: Is there a quick way to tell between a Clear

                                      and Luminance Filter?

                                      > So simple but so left field. How did you come up with this Don?

                                      > Geoff

                                      > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com

                                      <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                      <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                      <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com> , "Don" <don@...> wrote:

                                      >> Oliver,

                                      >> If the filter is not marked as clear there is an easy method to check.

                                      >> Clear filters do not block IR and luminance filters do. To check just put

                                      >> the filter in front of the IR emitter on your TV remote and try to change

                                      >> the channel. If the channel changes it is clear, if not, it is luminance.

                                      >> HTHs,

                                      >> Don Waid

                                      >> http://www.waid-observatory.com

                                    • ka4gbr
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 11, 2012
                                        My original DSI color had an IR filter under the nosepiece but DSI PRO II
                                        didn't.
                                        I still use the DSI PRO II for guiding.
                                        I replaced the slide adapter with a low profile adapter from scopestuff .
                                        The slide adapter has some light leakage.
                                        This allows me to screw on a 1.25 I/R filter.

                                        ________________________________

                                        From: ka4gbr@...
                                        Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:01:44 -0400

                                        To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                        From: ka4gbr@... <mailto:ka4gbr%40bellsouth.net>

                                        Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:05:23 -0400

                                        and Luminance Filter?

                                        From: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                        Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 3:04 AM

                                        To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                        and Luminance Filter?

                                        According to this both the Pro 1 and the Pro 2 have the IR filter built in,

                                        unless they are talking about something else?

                                        http://autostarsuite.net/forums/thread/8191.aspx

                                        To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                        <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>

                                        From: ka4gbr@... <mailto:ka4gbr%40bellsouth.net>