Re: Frosting on ST8 camera

  • tommack7882
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2012
      Any one know what the thread size is for the plug? I just received a new STF without a dummy plug in the package.

      Tom

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, RUDIE J ALLISON <cherokeeridge1@...> wrote:

      > Stan,
      > Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have a dummy plug which is in the camera as we speak. The one I "baked" is the real dessicant plug. I had glanced at it before baking and thought it appeared to be a fine mesh but after baking I examined it more closely (under a microscope) and it now appears to be a solid metallic surface. I am questioning how this material can be absorbent but so far I have been unable to find any info as to the composition of the interior of the plug. I was careful to bake it at only 350 degrees as prescribed but I am thinking that possibly something melted.
      >
      > Rudie
      >
      > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
      > From: stan_ccd@...
      > Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 15:01:36 +0000
      > Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: Frosting on ST8 camera

      > --- "rudieallison" <cherokeeridge1@> wrote:
      >
      > > ...ST8 .. the dessicant plug ... I see what appears to be a
      >
      > > solid metallic surface...
      >

      > The ST-8 shipped with the real dessicant plug and a dummy plug (to use while baking the real thing). It sounds like maybe you are using the dummy plug. The real plug has a fine-mesh retaining screen that you can see.
      >

      > Stan

    • mark_manner_spot_obsrv
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2012
        The plugs that you can replace the dessicant with disposable packs work great on the ST series cameras. See link below to 'farpoint dessicant plug':

        http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=12260

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "rudieallison" <cherokeeridge1@...> wrote:

        > When doing flats with my ST8 I noticed a bad case of frosting over. I followed the instructions to dry out the dessicant plug at 350 degrees in the oven but now when I look into the end of the plug I see what appears to be a solid metallic surface. I thought I glanced into the end before heating it and the surface appeared to be perforated with tiny holes to absorb the moisture. I am wondering if I ruined it when heating it or is this solid metallic surface that I am seeing normal??? Any advice on this subject will be appreciated. I also thought at one time someone else besides SBIG made a plug to fit this (if I have to buy a replacement) but I can't seem to find any other options now. Any suggestions? Thanks.

      • Mark Acker
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2012
          Be aware that you must store the replacement packs in such a way that they don't soak up moisture while they're waiting to be used.  I needed to replace them in the field one night and couldn't figure out why the "new" packs didn't do any better than the expired ones.  It seems that the ziploc-type bag I was using was inadequate.  So, store the replacement packs in as airtight a container as you can find.  The Farpoint offering does work really well otherwise.  I used it for quite a while in my ST2000XM.

          Mark

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2012
            I have been using the aluminum foil type pouch the packs came in, and have been keeping that inside a zip lock bag for a bit extra. So far they seem to be staying fresh.

            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2012
              Mine only came in a small ziploc.

              Mark

              ________________________________
              I have been using the aluminum foil type pouch the packs came in, and have been keeping that inside a zip lock bag for a bit extra. So far they seem to be staying fresh.

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Mark Acker <markacker@...> wrote:

              > Be aware that you must store the replacement packs in such a way that they don't soak up moisture while they're waiting to be used.  I needed to replace them in the field one night and couldn't figure out why the "new" packs didn't do any better than the expired ones.  It seems that the ziploc-type bag I was using was inadequate.  So, store the replacement packs in as airtight a container as you can find.  The Farpoint offering does work really well otherwise.  I used it for quite a while in my ST2000XM.
              >
              > Mark
              >

              > ________________________________

            • RUDIE J ALLISON
              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2012
                Can these replacement packs be "baked" to dry them out? I'm wondering if baking them in my old "hypersensitization chamber" with a nitrogen purge would work. Probably should have used that on the SBIG plug that my 350 degree oven melted!! Sounds like vacuum sealing the new replacement packs in a jar for storage would be the safest way to keep them absolutely dry.

                Rudie

                To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
                From: markacker@...
                Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 18:26:51 -0700
                Subject: Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: Frosting on ST8 camera

                Message 7 of 10 , May 3, 2012
                  I don't think they can be regnerated, but the packs aren't expensive, and last a long time, so using the disposable ones isn't a big deal.