Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: Which camera to buy

  • jfmiller7@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 15 6:30 PM
      It is an extraordinary place, both the skies and the people. I have had the opportunity to lease equipment on site in the past, but I believe that is no longer offered. I am considering moving a mount and scope down there.

      The beauty of having good data is that you will always be able to go back and re-process something after you learn more.

      thanks for replying, and have fun,

      Jim

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 15 8:46 PM
        Bob,
        You have not mentioned what kind of a guider camera you are using? (unless I missed it somewhere in the postings).
        You will need to guide to make good images, so add in the cost of a guider setup also.
        Keeping this in mind, I recommend you consider an SBIG ST2000XM mono camera and CFW9 filter wheel. This is a self contained system that includes a guider chip in the camera as well as the imaging chip, just attach to the scope and image, can't be simpler. Also the chip in that camera is fairly large for the cost and includes anti-blooming protection (which makes it easier for a new photographer to take good pictures). If you can not afford the camera and filter wheel then start with the camera only and do black & white until you can afford to add the filter wheel and filters.
        Rex