Dark Nebula complex in Monoceros: The "Philippine Nebula"

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2012
      Hi all,

      Man, has it been six years since I last shot this? I fondly refer to this complex of dark nebulae "The Philippine Nebula", as it reminds me of the country I was born in. I shot it back in 2006 with in H-alpha only, and didn't get around to shooting it in full color until this year (with a different setup!).

      Takahashi TOA-130F on an Astro-Physics AP1200GTO mount. SBIG STL-6303E camera with FW8-STL filter wheel and Astrodon LRGB and narrowband filters. Robofocus focuser and Astrodon Takometer rotator.

      Exposure Details:
      H-Alpha: 19 x 30 Minutes Binned 1x1
      Red: 15 x 10 Minutes Binned 1x1
      Green: 15 x 10 Minutes Binned 1x1
      Blue: 15 x 10 Minutes Binned 1x1

      17 Hours Total Exposure Time

      Captured from Rancho Hidalgo, New Mexico, January 2012.

      Acquisition Software : MaximDL 5, TheSky6, CCDAutopilot 5, FocusMax, Takometer Controller

      Processing Software: MaximDL, Photoshop CS/CS5, Carboni Actions, IrFanView

      Full sized image can be seen here:
      http://www.skiesbyafrica.com/Nebulae/PhilippineNebula.html

      Enjoy,
      Eric
    • Bernard Miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2012
        Eric,

        I will have to remember this one next year. Excellent image and an
        unfamiliar one. You have my vote for the naming right :-) Thanks for
        sharing.

        Bernard

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2012
          Hi Eric¡
          Man¡..what an excellent target..¡.. . Congrats for the image. Nice¡. Well done with this “Philippine Nebula”..¡

          BR
          Antonio F. Sanchez
          http://afesan.es

          Spain