Re: CCD chat (FLI/Apogee 4710 chip)....any comments ?

  • randy_nulman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2012
      Hi,
      Even if we assume an average FL of 1250mm, those 13 micron pixels will yield a sampling of/about 2.15 arcsec per pixel. Assuming your seeing is reasonable...3" fwhm or better, you will be well undersampled.

      This is not to say that for "pretty pictures" that you won't get good results, but you will not get the full benefit of nyquist sampling (3.3 x your image scale relative to your average seeing in fwhm) for detail and benefits of other processing issues such as deconvolution.

      At your FL, I would suggest smaller pixels even if it means longer sub-exposure times...a good start would be 9u pixels or less. That's why the SBIG 8300 is so popular with shorter focal lengths as you maintain detail and samplings that allow for good post processing and detail.

      Just my 2 cents,

      Randy Nulman
      http://nulman.darkhorizons.org