Re: Best 8300M Series CCD - Which Camera to Purchase?

  • Stan
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 8, 2011
      --- "CurtisC" <calypte@...> wrote:
      > They aren't on the SBIG website.

      I recall 3 improvements:

      1) Internal image buffer. This eliminates potential problems caused by USB traffic/connection issues since the CCD readout no longer depends on real-time data transfer to the computer.

      2) Switchable in-camera DSP to create good-looking images right out of the camera that do not need dark subtraction. It can still download true raw images, which is what any "serious" imager should use (i.e. the DSP is a useless feature for making top-quality images).

      3) Easily accessible desiccant plug. The original camera required some disassembly to re-charge the desiccant.

      It comes at a $500 premium though ($2,500) and IMHO only the internal buffer is a real improvement. They will continue to sell the original model at original price ($2k), at least until current stock has run out.

      The more interesting new equipment is an Off-axis guider assembly that is super-thin with a built-in extender-reducer; a relay lens extends the focus to a reducer giving added flexibility and larger FOV to the guider. It of course mates well to the ST-I guide camera but does not require such.

      In my experience, you cannot go wrong with SBIG because they are well designed (esp for the price class) and very well supported. But they do have competition...

      Stan
    • Stan
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 8, 2011
        P.S. SBIG will offer discount packages with ST-8300 + OAG, etc. so you might want to hold-off or inquire from SBIG (it is still not on the web site).
      • Matt Thomas
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 8, 2011
          4) 10MPix/sec sampling, allows for <1sec acquisition+download.

          Should have info on the web page soon (easier to speak about something
          at the show, than get all the info together to dealers and the web
          site).

          -Matt Thomas
          SBIG

          Tuesday, November 8, 2011, 9:21:16 AM, Stan wrote:

          > --- "CurtisC" <calypte@...> wrote:
          >> They aren't on the SBIG website.

          > I recall 3 improvements:

          > 1) Internal image buffer. This eliminates potential problems caused
          > by USB traffic/connection issues since the CCD readout no longer
          > depends on real-time data transfer to the computer.

          > 2) Switchable in-camera DSP to create good-looking images right out
          > of the camera that do not need dark subtraction. It can still
          > download true raw images, which is what any "serious" imager should
          > use (i.e. the DSP is a useless feature for making top-quality images).

          > 3) Easily accessible desiccant plug. The original camera required
          > some disassembly to re-charge the desiccant.

          > It comes at a $500 premium though ($2,500) and IMHO only the
          > internal buffer is a real improvement. They will continue to sell
          > the original model at original price ($2k), at least until current stock has run out.

          > The more interesting new equipment is an Off-axis guider assembly
          > that is super-thin with a built-in extender-reducer; a relay lens
          > extends the focus to a reducer giving added flexibility and larger
          > FOV to the guider. It of course mates well to the ST-I guide camera but does not require such.

          > In my experience, you cannot go wrong with SBIG because they are
          > well designed (esp for the price class) and very well supported. But they do have competition...

          > Stan

          > ------------------------------------
        • lmbuck2000
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 9, 2011
            ray gralack posted this link to his photos/videos from AIC 2011

            http://raygralak.smugmug.com/Astronomy/AIC-2011/19946161_XZvgXg

            check out the 3rd video - mike barber from SBIG discussing new products.

            Lee

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Matt Thomas <matt_e_thomas@...> wrote:

            > 4) 10MPix/sec sampling, allows for <1sec acquisition+download.
            >
            > Should have info on the web page soon (easier to speak about something
            > at the show, than get all the info together to dealers and the web
            > site).
            >
            > -Matt Thomas
            > SBIG

          • Stan
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 9, 2011
              --- Matt Thomas <matt_e_thomas@...> wrote:
              > 4) 10MPix/sec sampling, allows for <1sec acquisition+download.

              That is significant. It improves "effective QE" since it means you can spend more time imaging (less time waiting for download).

              Stan
            • Matts Sporre
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2011
                Just to make the list a little more complete.

                I have had an ML8300 from FLI over a year now and I am very happy with it.

                Cools down -45C below ambient (and more) in about 5min. It has a flush feature to mitigate RBI and image download is fast. It all comes in a small package (ML series). There is also a larger version with built in usb hub and even more cooling power (PL series).

                BR
                Matts