Comet C/2009 P1 Cooled CCD and DSLR

  • dennis_persyk
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12 2:39 PM
      Conditions were not favorable but I wanted to get some more experience with imaging with the Canon T1i DSLR and Starlight Xpress SXVR-H9 cooled CCD. The phase 0.49 moon was 43 degrees south of P1 and my Sky Quality Meter registered a moon glow of 17.8 mag/(sq arc sec). That corresponds to a NELM of about magnitude 3 -- pretty bright sky. The moon was by far the greatest source of light pollution that night.

      Images, commentary, data and at the link below -- please take a look.

      http://users.FoxValley.net/~dpersyk/new.htm .

      Clear skies,

      Dennis Persyk
      Hampshire, IL
      Igloo (Now Roll-Off) Observatory Home Page http://users.FoxValley.net/~dpersyk
      New Images http://users.FoxValley.net/~dpersyk/new.htm
      Pier Design http://users.FoxValley.net/~dpersyk/Pier_Design.htm
      Daily Bread Inspirational Page (Helicopter Parable) http://users.foxvalley.net/~dpersyk/DailyBread/
    • ancient.sull
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12 3:58 PM
        Very nice. Both the stars and the comet "not-blurred". I take it that's because with that very fast focal ratio and then with the binning you didn't have to image for very long.

        Regards,

        Drew S.

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "dennis_persyk" <dpersyk@...> wrote:

        > Conditions were not favorable but I wanted to get some more experience with imaging with the Canon T1i DSLR and Starlight Xpress SXVR-H9 cooled CCD. The phase 0.49 moon was 43 degrees south of P1 and my Sky Quality Meter registered a moon glow of 17.8 mag/(sq arc sec). That corresponds to a NELM of about magnitude 3 -- pretty bright sky. The moon was by far the greatest source of light pollution that night.
        >
        > Images, commentary, data and at the link below -- please take a look.
        >
        > http://users.FoxValley.net/~dpersyk/new.htm .
        >
        > Clear skies,
        >
        > Dennis Persyk
        > Hampshire, IL
        > Igloo (Now Roll-Off) Observatory Home Page http://users.FoxValley.net/~dpersyk
        > New Images http://users.FoxValley.net/~dpersyk/new.htm
        > Pier Design http://users.FoxValley.net/~dpersyk/Pier_Design.htm
        > Daily Bread Inspirational Page (Helicopter Parable) http://users.foxvalley.net/~dpersyk/DailyBread/

      • RBA
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 13 12:59 AM
          Hi Dennis

          You may want to add to your page the date/time when the data was
          captured. I may have missed it, but I looked for it and couldn't find
          it.

          > Very nice. Both the stars and the comet "not-blurred". I take it that's because with that very fast focal ratio and then with the binning you didn't have to image for very long.

          Drew,this comet is mag 8 at this point so it's pretty bright (it
          should put up a nice show early 2012).

          Look at a 120 seconds image (same time as Dennis with the SXVR-H9) of
          the same comet, taken with a C9.25, just 4 weeks ago:

          http://85.152.1.133/astro/2011/c2009p1-20110908-j01.jpg

          Cheers,
          Rogelio
        • dennis_persyk
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 13 9:15 AM
            Hi Rogelio,

            Thanks for pointing that out. I normally put the date and UTC time in the annotated image. This time I completely forgot!

            3 September 2011 0300 UTC

            Dennis

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, RBA <rba@...> wrote:

            > Hi Dennis
            >
            > You may want to add to your page the date/time when the data was
            > captured. I may have missed it, but I looked for it and couldn't find
            > it.
            >

            > > Very nice. Both the stars and the comet "not-blurred". I take it that's because with that very fast focal ratio and then with the binning you didn't have to image for very long.
            >
            > Drew,this comet is mag 8 at this point so it's pretty bright (it
            > should put up a nice show early 2012).
            >
            > Look at a 120 seconds image (same time as Dennis with the SXVR-H9) of
            > the same comet, taken with a C9.25, just 4 weeks ago:
            >
            > http://85.152.1.133/astro/2011/c2009p1-20110908-j01.jpg
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Rogelio

          • dennis_persyk
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 13 9:21 AM
              Hi Drew. Good question.

              I look up the relative motion of the comet on the Harvard ephemeris site. That night it was 1.0 arc seconds per minute. My pixels for SXVR-H9 were 5 arc seconds (binned 2x2). So I could expose for 5 minutes and only incur a one-pixel blur. Actually, that night I was limited to shorter exposures by moon glow.

              Dennis