NGC 7023 - The Iris Nebula

  • Bernard Miller
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2011
      Hi,

      Below are two images of NGC 7023, the Iris Nebula. NGC 7023 is a bright
      reflection nebula in the constellation Cepheus. The nebula is about 1300
      light years away and has a diameter of about 6 light years.

      http://www.azstarman.net/NGC7023_CROP.htm

      http://www.azstarman.net/NGC7023.htm

      Bernard

    • Jeff Armstrong
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2012
        The Iris Nebula is a bright reflection nebula and Caldwell object in the
        constellation Cepheus. NGC 7023 is actually the cluster within the nebula, LBN
        487, and the nebula is lit by a magnitude +7 star, SAO 19158. It shines at
        magnitude +6.8. It is located near the Mira-type variable star T Cephei, and
        near the bright magnitude +3.23 variable star Beta Cephei (Alphirk). It lies
        1,300 light-years away and is six light-years across.

        Apparent Magnitude: 6.8
        Apparent Size: 18' x 18'

        I'm on the fence on this one.  I think I would have been better off if I would
        have imaged this with my Hyperstar.  I tried using 20min subs to see if I could
        get the faint dust clouds.  Some are there but barely.  It took a lot of
        exposure and a lot of stretching to bring out what I could.  The data for this
        object was acquired over 4 nights.

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/army5/8168439460/

        Jeff Armstrong

      • Bernard Miller
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2012
          Jeff,

          I think there is some wonderful detail, but it looks like you may have
          over-done the noise reduction. It looks really soft and fuzzy to me. The
          color is great and I get a sense there is more detail in this image but the
          noise reduction went too far.

          Thanks,

          Bernard