Camera Recommendations

  • photobookie
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2011
      I have a Baby FSQ 85mm and want to use it for some wide-field mosaics. I've been thinking about the QSI 683 wsg as my camera of choice.

      However, I'm now also starting to think about getting a longer focal length telescope such as a 10" RC and do mosaics with it too. I know the 683 camera can be binned, but would there be other cameras that I should consider for use with both scopes (can't afford two different cameras)?

      Also, is a square sensor better for mosaics?

      Thanks in advance.
      Rick
    • RBA
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2011
        > Also, is a square sensor better for mosaics?

        Generally speaking, I wouldn't say so. Leaving other factors aside
        such as pixel size, resolution, sensitivity, etc... sensor size may be
        worth keeping in mind, but not so much whether it's square or
        rectangular. The bigger the sensor - assuming that your optics can
        take full advantage of it - the larger the field you can capture in a
        single frame and therefore the less number of panes you may need for a
        given mosaic.

        Aesthetically, to me it really doesn't matter whether the final image
        is squared, double-squared, a more traditional rectangle, etc. For
        some people it may matter, but that's more of a personal preference.

        Cheers,
        Rogelio