Re: [ccd-newastro] NGC6188/6164 and new observatory setup

  • Eddie Trimarchi
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2011
      Marco,

      I think you are pushing the envelope once again with this one. Beautful
      indeed. You did all you could to get the OIII bubble visible. It looks
      perfectly natural the way you have presented it.

      Excellent.

      Eddie Trimarchi
      http://astroshed.com

      On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Marco Lorenzi <marcolorenzi70@...>wrote:

      > Dear all, after quite a while without producing any image, eventually I
      > found the time to process a new images taken with the new
      > OTA I installed last February in my observatory in Coonabarabran, my
      > thrusty TEC APO 140.
      >
      > I had a lot of issues to proper set up the new imaging train, most of
      > the frames I took had problems of star trails. Eventually I found the
      > culprit to be a counterweight I installed in proximity of the lens cell to
      > better
      > balance the camera, counterweight that was producing a small bending of
      > the tube enough to produce oval stars. Now it is fixed, pity that me and
      > Peter Starr, the guy that hosts my observatory and support me on the
      > field, had to spend several months before finding out the reason.
      >
      > This is the first image with the new setup. I chose a popular subject,
      > NGC 6188 in ARA, fascinated by its dark lanes and the faint OIII bubble
      > surrounding the nearby NGC6164. This is a classical HaOIII RGB
      > composition with a total exposure of slightly more than 17 hours. Here is
      > the
      > link:
      >

      > http://www.glitteringlights.com/Images/deepsky/13667287_YtYhj#1381928346_fck28cW-X3-LB
      >
      > A zoomify version to full resolution / full screen is accessible from the
      > link above.
      > Despite the long exposure, I found the shell of NGC6188 very difficult
      > to image and, overall, this field is quite a challenge because of the
      > huge amount of stars present that suffocate a bit the nebulae. I hope
      > you will like it.
      >
      > Clear Skies
      > Marco

      Eddie Trimarchi
    • Michael Sherick
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 14, 2011
        Hello Marco,

        Congratulations on your new observatory setup!  I know that getting everything working correctly and the "bugs out" can be frustrating and time-consuming.  However, it looks like the effort paid off, as your initial image is quite beautiful.  Looking forward to seeing more image results.

        Clear Skies,
        Mike