Re: A late M1

  • rwodaski
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 9, 2011
      Those long links to images expire. They may last a few minutes or a few hours, but they don't last forever. So after some amount of time, your tinyurl winds up pointing to something that no longer exists.

      Your best bet is to use the feature that allows you to post a message to the group when you are uploading the image.

      Ron Wodaski

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Michel" <mperron@...> wrote:

      > Sorry guys, not sure why the tiny URL didn't work. Let's try this again.
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/3kkqk9s
      >
      > Sorry about that.
      >
      > Mike

    • FocusKnobs
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 9, 2011
        This may be true of alternative sites, but tinyurl links do not expire.
        From the tinyurl home page:

        "Are you sick of posting URLs in emails only to have it break when sent
        causing the recipient to have to cut and paste it back together? Then
        you've come to the right place. By entering in a URL in the text field
        below, we will create a tiny URL that will not break in email postings
        AND NEVER EXPIRES." (emphasis mine)

        When/if you encounter an invalid tinyurl, it's because the original URL
        broke, not the tinyurl. In this case it looks like Mike just cut off a
        couple of alpha characters at the end of his original link - it's too
        short.

        Lou

        P.S. I just clicked a link from a message I archived in 2005, and it's
        still valid.

        Those long links to images expire. They may last a few minutes or a few
        hours, but they don't last forever. So after some amount of time, your
        tinyurl winds up pointing to something that no longer exists.

        Your best bet is to use the feature that allows you to post a message to
        the group when you are uploading the image.

        Ron Wodaski

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Michel" <mperron@...> wrote:

        > Sorry guys, not sure why the tiny URL didn't work. Let's try this
        again.

        > http://tinyurl.com/3kkqk9s
        >
        > Sorry about that.
        >
        > Mike

      • paulkccd
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 9, 2011
          Here is the link, Mike. And a very nice image it is!

          -Paul

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 9, 2011
            I wasn't saying the tinyurl expired. The yahoo link it points expires.

            Ron Wodaski
            --------------------------------
            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jun 9, 2011, at 13:24, FocusKnobs <focusknobs@...> wrote:

            > This may be true of alternative sites, but tinyurl links do not expire.
            > From the tinyurl home page:
            >
            > "Are you sick of posting URLs in emails only to have it break when sent
            > causing the recipient to have to cut and paste it back together? Then
            > you've come to the right place. By entering in a URL in the text field
            > below, we will create a tiny URL that will not break in email postings
            > AND NEVER EXPIRES." (emphasis mine)
            >
            > When/if you encounter an invalid tinyurl, it's because the original URL
            > broke, not the tinyurl. In this case it looks like Mike just cut off a
            > couple of alpha characters at the end of his original link - it's too
            > short.
            >
            > Lou
            >
            > P.S. I just clicked a link from a message I archived in 2005, and it's
            > still valid.

          • FocusKnobs
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 9, 2011
              Ah! Got it. Actually, we were saying the same thing, but I didn't
              realize it. <g>

              Lou

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 10, 2011
                Thkx Paul, a 'direct' link is much simpler...joe :)

                "May You Go Among The Imperishable Stars"
                Joe Mize www.cav-sfo.com
                Chiefland Astronomy Village (CAV), Fla
                StarFields Observatory, (SFO).

                > Here is the link, Mike. And a very nice image it is!

                > Regards,
                >
                > -Paul
                >
                > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Michel" <mperron@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Sorry guys, not sure why the tiny URL didn't work. Let's try this again.
                >>
                >> http://tinyurl.com/3kkqk9s
                >>
                >> Sorry about that.
                >>
                >> Mike
                >>

                >> --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "CurtisC" <calypte@> wrote:
                >> >
                >> > ...for me too.

                > ------------------------------------

              • Michel
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 10, 2011
                  Thanks Paul for the kind comment and fixing the link for me. I guess you can see that I don't post very often!

                  Mike

                  --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "paulkccd" <paul@...> wrote:

                  > Here is the link, Mike. And a very nice image it is!

                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > -Paul
                  >
                  > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Michel" <mperron@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Sorry guys, not sure why the tiny URL didn't work. Let's try this again.
                  > >
                  > > http://tinyurl.com/3kkqk9s
                  > >
                  > > Sorry about that.
                  > >
                  > > Mike
                  > >

                  > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "CurtisC" <calypte@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > ...for me too.

                • Michel
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 10, 2011
                    Thanks Ron and Lou,

                    I didn't realize that the long URL would expire.

                    As you can see, I typically don't post. Mostly I'm a lurker that appreciates others images and advice. I usually only post when I'm not quite happy with something and am sick of trying to figure out what doesn't seem right. I always hope someone can find faults that I can't see any longer. Funny how the brain can miss obvious problems (especially when related to color and shaprmess...for me anyways) when you've been staring at the same image for hours.

                    I'll use the direct link next time.

                    Thanks again guys,

                    Mike