Re: A late M1

  • Michel
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 9, 2011
      Sorry guys, not sure why the tiny URL didn't work. Let's try this again.

      http://tinyurl.com/3kkqk9s

      Sorry about that.

      Mike

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "CurtisC" <calypte@...> wrote:

      > ...for me too.
      >
      > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "xfactor2015" <nav-deep@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey Mike,
      > >
      > > The link is broken for me.
      > >
      > > Nav
      > >
      > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Michel" <mperron@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello all,
      > > >
      > > > below is a link to an M1 image I finished processing. It's my first L(Ha)R(Ha)GB composite. Registartaion and Decon were done in CCDStack. The majority of the processing was done in pixinsight (first real attempt and using this software). I honestly had no idea how to blend the Ha data. All the tutorials I saw resulted in a very artifical looking M1. I ended up blending the Ha into the L and R channels by averaging them in at around 30%. Why 30%....I have no idea LOL.
      > > >
      > > > The total exposure was:
      > > >
      > > > Lum: 5 hours
      > > > Ha: 3 hours
      > > > RGB: 1.5 hours each
      > > >
      > > > Taken with an RCOS 12.5", U16M camera and AP1200 mount.
      > > >
      > > > http://tiny.cc/u3e2k
      > > >
      > > > I'd appreciate any critisism/suggestions on the image. I definitely need to work on getting my Ha blending down.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > >
      > > > Mike

    • rwodaski
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 9, 2011
        Those long links to images expire. They may last a few minutes or a few hours, but they don't last forever. So after some amount of time, your tinyurl winds up pointing to something that no longer exists.

        Your best bet is to use the feature that allows you to post a message to the group when you are uploading the image.

        Ron Wodaski

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Michel" <mperron@...> wrote:

        > Sorry guys, not sure why the tiny URL didn't work. Let's try this again.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/3kkqk9s
        >
        > Sorry about that.
        >
        > Mike

      • FocusKnobs
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 9, 2011
          This may be true of alternative sites, but tinyurl links do not expire.
          From the tinyurl home page:

          "Are you sick of posting URLs in emails only to have it break when sent
          causing the recipient to have to cut and paste it back together? Then
          you've come to the right place. By entering in a URL in the text field
          below, we will create a tiny URL that will not break in email postings
          AND NEVER EXPIRES." (emphasis mine)

          When/if you encounter an invalid tinyurl, it's because the original URL
          broke, not the tinyurl. In this case it looks like Mike just cut off a
          couple of alpha characters at the end of his original link - it's too
          short.

          Lou

          P.S. I just clicked a link from a message I archived in 2005, and it's
          still valid.

          Those long links to images expire. They may last a few minutes or a few
          hours, but they don't last forever. So after some amount of time, your
          tinyurl winds up pointing to something that no longer exists.

          Your best bet is to use the feature that allows you to post a message to
          the group when you are uploading the image.

          Ron Wodaski

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Michel" <mperron@...> wrote:

          > Sorry guys, not sure why the tiny URL didn't work. Let's try this
          again.

          > http://tinyurl.com/3kkqk9s
          >
          > Sorry about that.
          >
          > Mike

        • paulkccd
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 9, 2011
            Here is the link, Mike. And a very nice image it is!

            -Paul

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 9, 2011
              I wasn't saying the tinyurl expired. The yahoo link it points expires.

              Ron Wodaski
              --------------------------------
              Sent from my iPhone

              On Jun 9, 2011, at 13:24, FocusKnobs <focusknobs@...> wrote:

              > This may be true of alternative sites, but tinyurl links do not expire.
              > From the tinyurl home page:
              >
              > "Are you sick of posting URLs in emails only to have it break when sent
              > causing the recipient to have to cut and paste it back together? Then
              > you've come to the right place. By entering in a URL in the text field
              > below, we will create a tiny URL that will not break in email postings
              > AND NEVER EXPIRES." (emphasis mine)
              >
              > When/if you encounter an invalid tinyurl, it's because the original URL
              > broke, not the tinyurl. In this case it looks like Mike just cut off a
              > couple of alpha characters at the end of his original link - it's too
              > short.
              >
              > Lou
              >
              > P.S. I just clicked a link from a message I archived in 2005, and it's
              > still valid.

            • FocusKnobs
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 9, 2011
                Ah! Got it. Actually, we were saying the same thing, but I didn't
                realize it. <g>

                Lou

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 10, 2011
                  Thkx Paul, a 'direct' link is much simpler...joe :)

                  "May You Go Among The Imperishable Stars"
                  Joe Mize www.cav-sfo.com
                  Chiefland Astronomy Village (CAV), Fla
                  StarFields Observatory, (SFO).

                  > Here is the link, Mike. And a very nice image it is!

                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > -Paul
                  >
                  > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Michel" <mperron@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Sorry guys, not sure why the tiny URL didn't work. Let's try this again.
                  >>
                  >> http://tinyurl.com/3kkqk9s
                  >>
                  >> Sorry about that.
                  >>
                  >> Mike
                  >>

                  >> --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "CurtisC" <calypte@> wrote:
                  >> >
                  >> > ...for me too.

                  > ------------------------------------

                • Michel
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 10, 2011
                    Thanks Paul for the kind comment and fixing the link for me. I guess you can see that I don't post very often!

                    Mike

                    --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "paulkccd" <paul@...> wrote:

                    > Here is the link, Mike. And a very nice image it is!

                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > -Paul
                    >
                    > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Michel" <mperron@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Sorry guys, not sure why the tiny URL didn't work. Let's try this again.
                    > >
                    > > http://tinyurl.com/3kkqk9s
                    > >
                    > > Sorry about that.
                    > >
                    > > Mike
                    > >

                    > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "CurtisC" <calypte@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > ...for me too.

                  • Michel
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 10, 2011
                      Thanks Ron and Lou,

                      I didn't realize that the long URL would expire.

                      As you can see, I typically don't post. Mostly I'm a lurker that appreciates others images and advice. I usually only post when I'm not quite happy with something and am sick of trying to figure out what doesn't seem right. I always hope someone can find faults that I can't see any longer. Funny how the brain can miss obvious problems (especially when related to color and shaprmess...for me anyways) when you've been staring at the same image for hours.

                      I'll use the direct link next time.

                      Thanks again guys,

                      Mike