Exposure length for lights

  • Jeff Armstrong
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2011
      I'm still learning to image with my SX M25C. If I'm imaging say M51 I know I don't want to over saturate the core. I've been using the info in maxim dl to measure the core to keep maximum under 65K. My question is about comparing values of surrounding stars and the DSO. Do I worry just as much about the nearby star values as well or focus on the DSO.

      Jeff

      Sent from my iPhone
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2011
        It's just data. You get to decide what parts you want to protect, and what parts you can let go. For example, in order to get good signal to noise ratio in one part of an exposure, you may need to saturate in other parts.

        The decision is really yours, and depends on what you want to achieve.

        Ron Wodaski

        On Jun 4, 2011, at 7:28 PM, Jeff Armstrong wrote:

        > I'm still learning to image with my SX M25C. If I'm imaging say M51 I know I don't want to over saturate the core. I've been using the info in maxim dl to measure the core to keep maximum under 65K. My question is about comparing values of surrounding stars and the DSO. Do I worry just as much about the nearby star values as well or focus on the DSO.
        >
        > Jeff
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone

      • Jeff Armstrong
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2011
          Thanks Ron. At this moment I'm imaging M101 with my 11" CGEM HD w/Hyperstar. It took only 20sec to saturate some stars yet a 2min exposure yielded around 17k max pixel at the core. At the moment when processing I focus on the object imaged and less on the stars in the FOV, though many of the great pics look great top to bottom. My imaging/processing skills aren't quite there yet.

          Jeff

          Sent from my iPhone