Re: Remote Computer Control Software

  • William Shaheen
    Message 1 of 22 , May 31, 2011
      Ron - enthusiasm aside, Teamviewer does offer some tangible benefits
      over many of its competitors. True, some are not an advantage when
      considering remote observatory operation alone.

      For one, Teamviewer provides file transfer in its free (non-commercial
      version) whereas LogMeIn requires the purchased version to have this
      capability.

      Teamviewer can be also be accessed from a user account without requiring
      anything to be installed, just as LogMeIn is capable of but their is a
      false report that TV does not support this feature.

      Teamviewer can be used for presentations and training of observatory use
      more effectively since it does feature separate Video and Audio, in a
      Skype-like fashion.

      While I am not particularly advocating TV over LogMeIn, I simply feel my
      enthusiasm is based on important distinctions.

      All good fodder for Dennis and others to consider.

      Thanks and regards,

      Bill

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > Yeah, but remote control of an observatory isn't a support session,
      and you don't have to set it up every time.

      > The point I'm making is that there are other reasons besides
      convenience to choose how you will control your observatory computer
      remotely. I couldn't care less about setup myself; I'm interested in
      operational capabilities, screen quality at the available bandwidth, and
      reliability.

      > For me, LogMeIn meets those needs, and team viewer does not. But
      different people have different requirements and preferences, so no
      matter how enthusiastic someone is about product x, it may or may not be
      the answer for someone else.

      > Our philosophy here is pretty simple: enthusiasm is great, but facts
      are greater. <g>

      > So while I appreciate your enthusiasm for Team Viewer, it's worthwhile
      pointing out that the scenario you mention is not the most common one,
      and for most users, will not be the one they give the most weight to
      when figuring out which product is best for their situation.

      > None of which is to say that I would tell someone to definitely NOT
      use team viewer, of course. It's a good product, but it's not ideal for
      everyone.

      > Ron Wodaski
      >

      > On May 30, 2011, at 2:58 PM, William Shaheen wrote:
      >
      > > You can fix that by optimizing for quality (as soposed for speed)
      and wont be a problem if using the LAN connection.

      > > Another reason I use Teamviewer - a friend called me the other day
      and wanted help with his PC. I simply had him download and intall TV.
      Took longer to explain it to him than to do it.

      > > Had he used any of the VNC products, we'd still be dickering around
      with port connections and such.

      > > As it was, I resolved his problem in a few minutes.
      > >
      > > Bill
      > >
      > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Admilson admilson_p@ wrote:
      > >>
      > >> I've been using Team Viewer for a long time with very good results.
      The only
      > >> drawback is the graphics,
      > >> that sometimes is not fully realistic on the remote computer. In my
      case Ultra
      > >> VNC works better in this respect.
      > >>

      > >> Admilson
      > >> http://www.adm.astronomy.com
      > >>

      > >> ________________________________

      ImagesPlus
      > >> 4.25 for camera control. Later I may add mount control.
      > >>
      > >> I'd appreciate suggestions of appropriate software to use. I have
      limited
      > >> computer smarts but I have friends who can help me with set up.
      Thanks!

      http://users.FoxValley.net/~dpersyk
      > >> New Images http://users.FoxValley.net/~dpersyk/new.htm
      > >> Pier Design http://users.FoxValley.net/~dpersyk/Pier_Design.htm
      > >> Daily Bread Spiritual Inspiration
      > >> http://users.foxvalley.net/~dpersyk/DailyBread/

    • Don
      Message 2 of 22 , May 31, 2011
        Hap,

        GoToMyPc has such sound support.

        Don Waid

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 1, 2011
          LogMeIn also supports sound, with the Pro version.

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 1, 2011
            FWIW, TeamViewer was going to be my choice for our remote management at Tzec Maun. The deciding factor for us was pretty simple: LogMeIn offered us a discount as a non-profit, and TeamViewer did not. Fortunately, we've been very happy with LogMeIn.

            That's not likely to be a relevant issue for most users, of course. <g> Especially for those who like the set of features in the free version of TeamViewer.

            Ron Wodaski

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 1, 2011
              That makes emminent sense, of course, thank you. Speaking of Tzec Maun,
              I'm still tryig to get the local school district to implement some form
              of astronomy program and may enlist your help at some point, if that's
              possible with your schedule.