Resolution and splitting doubles.

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2011
      I am imaging at 1.35 as/p. Is it the case that if I try split double stars,that I can use their separation as an indicator of seeing, by looking at the image and checking the smallest double star separation where I can see some space between the stars?

      Thx,
      Bob Hertel
    • Stan
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2011
        --- "Robert" <robert.hertel@...> wrote:
        > I am imaging at 1.35 as/p.
        > Is it the case that if I try split double stars,
        > that I can use their separation as an indicator of seeing

        It only complicates interpreting the image. A straight-forward FWHM reading is an easier and accurate measure of resolution. However, any measure of image resolution is not a measure of actual seeing, but rather a convolved measure of all the factors that affect the image (optical quality, defocus, collimation, sampling, tracking, guiding, vibrations, etc.)

        BTW that is a pretty crude sample rate that seems rather unsuitable for close doubles (e.g. I doubt that you have ever split a 1" double with that sampling). You might be interested in the controlled (artificial) double stars in the sampling illustrations here:

        http://www.stanmooreastro.com/pixel_size.htm

        Stan