Re: [ccd-newastro] Airy pattern

  • Ken Harrison
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2011
      Guidemaster is worth looking at....
      http://www.guidemaster.de/index_en.asp

      --
      "Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few
      amateurs have gone before....
    • mark_manner_spot_obsrv
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2011
        Thanks Umair. That is helpful.
        By the way, I just took a look at your location, and I am very envious of your low humidity and good transparency. My seeing is ok, but there is a lot of water in the atmosphere here.
        Best regards,
        Mark

        www.spotastro.com

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Umair Asim <umairasim@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mark,
        >
        > With my C14 and Imaging Source Camera and 2X powermate, I can easily see the airy pattern for bright stars at 15fps or a bit more. Yes collimation becomes very easy this way.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Umair Asim
        > www.umairasim.com
        > ---------------------
        > Sent from my iPhone4
        >
        > On May 8, 2011, at 21:11, "mark_manner_spot_obsrv" <mark.manner@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I am experimenting with collimation of a 14" SCT. I have been doing rough calibration on a defocused star using a SKYnyx 2-0M high frame rate camera behind a 2x Powermate. It is easy to see while standing in front of the scope, and is the image train that I will mostly use on this telescope. However, to achieve the best collimation, I would like to adjust the secondary while observing a focused star and its airy rings. I can do this with more difficulty using an eyepiece (if the seeing is proper), but can I also do this with a ccd camera, which would permit me to stand and adjust without going back and forth. I have never seen the airy rings in a ccd image captured at the 0.1 sec exposures possible with my usual SBIG STL camera. Will the faster frame rate of the SKYnyx allow me to see them? Or are they so faint/evanescent that I practically won't be able to see them?
        > > Thanks,
        > > Mark

      • Umair Asim
        Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2011
          You are welcome Mark.

          Transparency is not so good here.. Right now, I cannot see Megrez in the sky, which is around what 3.5?

          Regards,

          Umair Asim
          www.umairasim.com
          Sent from my iPhone4